Make home your hobby

Finally my Mom's grave marker came in. We went out to see it last night and I am so pleased with how it looks. My sister chose the perfect quote for her.
Perfect because her home truly was her hobby.

Of course I knew her name would be across the front, but there is something about actually seeing it. Even though she died in our home, in some ways I still can't believe she is gone.
She is right next to her grandson Romey who died when he was 18 months old.
And they are both not too far from her granddaughter Robin who just passed away April 11th. Robin will get her marker when the time is right. We seem to take awhile in our family to decide just how we want it to be. I can still see some of the glitter on Robin's temporary marker glued on by her sister Natalie.
Within months after my first husband dying, my Mom one day brought over this little cartoon from the newspaper. I loved it then and it seems even more appropriate now. I'm copying it here just the way Mom gave it to me, cut with her pinking sheers. Don't know why, but she cut lots of things out with those pinking sheers, and she always did everything in a hurry.
Guess that quality developed over the years while raising 8 children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, This is great. I love your mom's marker. It is really nice. I saw a copy of it at Robin's and thought it looked great but the real thing is much better. I also love the cartoon. Family Circus is one of my favorites.

Ammy said...

I love the cartoon! Also the quote by David O Mckay is the best. I heard it once and I loved it then and now that I saw it I am going to write it down and put it on my fridge. Those are awesome words to live by.

Brock said...

Brock and I went out there on father's day and it seemed so strange to see Gaynor and Robin's names there. Leave it to Family Circus to put it all in perspective.

Anonymous said...

The way you journal your blog is exceptionally beautiful because of your gift of perception. I can understand more clearly why you are who you are. You have a remarkable legacy behind you and around you. PS: Tyler and Karen look cute & happy together! (lb)

The Gage Cage said...

What a profound cartoon. =) I love the quote on your Mom's grave marker. Paul says she was such a sweet lady.
I'm sure something will click for Robins grave marker. How is her husband and her little girl? I still get sad when I think about the ones she left behind.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...