On Father's Day

I wanted to share today the truths that my Dad lives by. He wrote this list in 1976:

1. That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has changed, but our ability to accomplish it becomes increased. (quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson from a talk by Heber J. Grant)

2. There is no such thing as a "free lunch"...somebody has to pay for it.

3. Man is that we might have joy.

4. The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.

5. Don't take yourself too seriously.

6. Look for the weakness in other men to be the same as you have in yourself. Then you will have greater love and understanding for them and yourself.

7. The search for material riches is never ending.

8. The greatest accomplishment in my life is my family.

9. It is easy to let lust and greed be your motivating factor in your life (your gods).

10. The people I most admire are those who keep the commandments (the most righteous). They are also the most enjoyable to be around.

11. Honesty is the single most important quality a person should have.

12. Service to others brings the greatest happiness in life.



On a side note, Elora made Grandpa Dennis this heart for Father's day.
He loves the homemade gifts the BEST.

Thought I should tell you it is a heart in case you don't recognize it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,
I don't remember this list at all. Thanks for resurrecting it. I don't know that I would change anthing except the order they are in.
Dad

Grandma Honey said...

Good to hear from you Dad. I know you lived by this list so I had to put it on here.

Jill

The Gage Cage said...

Those are great quotes! Love them!

grandmapeg said...

There is a lot of truth to these quotes. I'll bet Dennis loved the picture!
Peggy

Kris said...

Those quotes are fantastic. And the neatest thing is that you had those saved.

That picture is so sweet! I bet Dad loved it! Good job, Elora!

Amy Nielson said...

Those are great quotes. Thanks for sharing them.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...