I should have listened to Brock

Do you remember LPs? And am I the only one old enough to remember 45s and 78s?? Then somewhere cassettes came out. I had so many of those! Loved them.


When CDs appeared I remember asking a musical friend of mine if they really made a difference in quality of sound. She knew I was low on funds at the time, so she paused, and then sort of whispered apologetic like, "Yes, CDs do have a much better quality to them." 


But I didn't get my very first CD until 1996, right after my first husband died. I even had trouble figuring out how to open up the case. Music immensely helped us all get through that first traumatic year. I bought cheap CD players and put one in the kitchen, bedrooms, and even my bathroom.

 
So I got remarried in 1999. Dennis didn't like music playing during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But that was okay, we had him and he was more interesting anyway (than the music I mean).  But a few years later, about 2005.... my son Brock told Dennis that CDs were on their way out. Den thought Brock had it wrong. I agreed with Dennis. Why would anyone stop buying CDs?
 
Well guess what? Brock saw that music train coming.
Check out this link and you'll see what I mean. 
You'll see in 30 seconds how the delivery of music has changed over the past nearly 30 years. 

Then check out this music video. Something doesn't seem quite right about a 10 year old singing Rolling in the Deep, but what a voice she has! And I like that her brothers are playing the drums, piano, and guitar in the background.  Little Angie Vazquez may all be old news to you, but not to me. 

9 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

You're right. Angie's good!

And it was fun watching that live action graphic on the music delivery systems.

=)

PS. I do remember 78s and 45s and 8-tracks and cassettes.

Anonymous said...

and this is why The Lester Family no longer sells cassettes....
darlene

Connie said...

I'm always a step behind. up until last year, I thought the 8-tracks were awesome! :) Very interesting graph.

Eileen said...

Yes, I'm so amazed at all the down-loading, or whatever it's called. I'm lucky I have Ray and the kids to get my music for me because I have no idea how to do it!
Little Angie is amazing! And so is the musical talent of that family!
Katie said that whenever she heard that song by Adele while she was expecting Eóghan, he would be jumping inside her like crazy to the beat. Whenever he hears it now, he gets so excited and he starts jumping in our arms! I'll have to bring him over to listen to Angie too.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Becky Jane said...

I had to laugh at the 8-track life span...if you blink, you miss it!!!

I'm always the slow one...I'll be using cd's for quite a while yet!!!

Grandma Honey said...

Well then Becky that explains why I never had any 8 tracks. None. I went from LPs to cassettes.

Heather said...

I love that Angie is singing with her siblings, how sweet is that? Her voice sounds a bit auto-tuned, but I know I couldn't pull off Rolling in the Deep either with a little help. :-) Wonder what she sounds like live?

Grandma Honey said...

I never even thought of that Heather! You're probably right about it being auto tuned.

Alex Tee said...

Cool links! I'm still a bit of a youngster, but I admit that I LOVE cassettes and CDs. Not quite sure what an "LP" is, but I also own a few vinyls! While I do download SOME stuff off the internet. iTunes, etc; I will forever love CDs.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...