Christmas in the 1950s

No one has time to read much this week, so I will show you some pictures.
Not my pictures, but I can relate to them all too well.
(from Reminisce Magazine)
1957
This is a little girl in Union City, Indiana in 1957. 
The best gift I ever got as a little girl was a dollhouse similar to this one when I was 5 years old. 
I've never recovered from the excitement when my brother and I got up in the middle of the night
to see what Santa brought us. 
There it was in the dark. 
I could feel it but not see it and I was SO crazy excited. 
Then we both went back to bed and waited...

1951
These 2 girls lived in West Branch, Iowa. 
I remember having those same chairs and that same high chair for my doll.


this looks like the 1960s
But I had to include this charming family from Washington, DC
because I had forgotten all about those headbands until I saw this picture.
This is how we wore our hair...with the headband over our ears!
My sister Robin was especially into this...
she had this one white headband she wore over her ears daily for years.
or maybe it was weeks.

Tomorrow I will show a video of our Christmas back in 1957.

8 comments:

Dad and Susan said...

I got an idea from your pictures. I could display my Christmas cards on the blinds!!! I've never seen that before. Love, Dad and Susan

Grandma Honey said...

I know, a little strange huh. I guess it would be okay if they never open their blinds for the entire month of December!

Rebecca said...

Ha! I think I had that very same high chair. AND I will have to post my third grade picture because I had one of those very same headbands in it!!

Karen Mortensen said...

Those were something else. Don't quite remember those things but my mom used to wear those headbands.

Ammy said...

How nostalgic to see these pictures. I think the headband is funny looking! I can't wear even my hair in front of my ears. How funny the styles change, huh?? All of these pictures has icicles on the trees...

Grandma Honey said...

I didn't even notice the icicles Ammy. Now that you mentioned it, a tree was not complete back then without them!

grandmapeg said...

I loved those headbands although some of them seemed to fit pretty tight..or maybe I just had a big head :-)

Susan Anderson said...

It was a good time to be alive.

I'm enjoying these blasts from the past, which I'm reading in reverse order because I'm so behind this week!

=)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...