Overnight Oats


So I've noticed for years these cute little overnight oats people put 
in mason jars and then show them on Instagram or blogs. They 
even make several at a time and have them all ready to eat in the 
morning for days.

Cute food does not impress me in the morning. And why prepare 
oatmeal ahead of time when it's so easy to make it the morning of? 

That was until I read in Reader's Digest, Oct issue...
about Overnight Oats:

So then I took notice and decided to just give it a try. I put my 1/3 
cup oats in a bowl with a cup of milk (I use oat milk), handful of 
blueberries, and some raspberries.


Den and I put our bowls in the fridge the night before.
Sometimes we even make tomorrow's oats right after breakfast. 

He likes his just plan, 
and then he adds maple syrup and cashew butter in the morning. 


Then next morning it did not appeal to me to eat it cold so I put it in 
the microvave for 75 seconds....then add some sunflower seed 
butter. The soaked oats texture seemed odd at first, but it was tasty. 

And I soon noticed something else...it was more filling and stayed 
with me most of the morning. Something about those oats being 
soaked in that milk all night.

But what I noticed the most, 
is they taste even better to me made this way. 

Since Dennis doesn't like change I didn't expect him to like this 
new oat way...but he does! 

I'm sold. Done deal. This is the way I prefer my oats now. 
Just thought I'd let you know. 

Here's a question I've never had the answer to:  Why are most 
people content with the same breakfast every morning, but would 
never want the same lunch and dinner every day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had overnight oats before, but forgot how good and easy they are. So after reading this post i just spent a couple minutes preparing some for tomorrow morning! I added almond milk, blackberries, walnuts and ground cardamom to mine. As for your question, I do know people that like to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner every day as well as breakfast!(or one person!) But overall, I think people are more in a hurry in the morning and want to eat something easy and reliable that they don't have to think about, and then later in the day they might want to add more variety, plus they are more likely to eat with their family. Plus I think there are fewer staple breakfast foods than lunch or dinner foods.
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I sure miss that Richard guy. Surely he must have had something to say about this...

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...