I got to be with 7 year olds today


Dennis teaches the 7 year olds every Sunday at our church. 
Today I got to help him since his team teacher couldn't make it. 

I mostly just sat and listened 
as Den taught them about Paul in the New Testament. 

How Paul got thrown in prison but he could still pray, 
and still had the ability to feel joy. 

One little girl raised her hand and asked, 
"But how could he feel joy in prison? 
When I got a shot I didn't feel joy."

Den responded that we sometimes we have to 
go through hard things, 
but we know our joy will return. 

And as the children were very intently listening, 
Dennis said that no matter what we go through, 
we know we can always pray.
We are never alone. 

Another girl had a comment, that was only vaguely related,
"One day I saw someone at school being bullied.
I told them they shouldn't do that, 
but they wouldn't listen to me." 

Another girl advised her, 
"You can pray about it. 
And then you can warn the person who is a bully 
that it's not very nice, 
and they shouldn't hurt feelings like that."

Then the only boy in the class, 
whose feet don't even touch the floor, had this to add:
"You can even pray with your eyes open 
for the person who is being bullied."

It was like listening to group therapy run by 7 year olds.

Very sweet and wise 7 year olds.

I left there wishing that every 7 year old, 
and every child, 
knew about Jesus Christ and how He taught us to live. 

Just as I was about to finish this post, I had to go on Facebook for 
something and happened to see what a friend from my past wrote...
we knew each other as little children!

Today, he shared this on FB, and I couldn't agree more:

“When the focus of our lives is on … Jesus Christ and His gospel, we can feel joy regardless of what is happening—or not happening—in our lives.”


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I wish I could be in that class and be reminded more often that there is hope and joy in every moment no matter how sad or disappointed or challenged we are.

Grandma Honey said...

I think often of my 28 year old niece, Robin, years ago fighting for her life with cancer. She would have given anything to stay here longer to raise her little girl, and she fought with everything she had. I often have this picture in my mind (through her writings) of how she and other cancer patients would gather in the hallway of the hospital, all attached to their IV poles...to sing Happy Birthday to one of their group or to cheer each other along. Robin would have this saying that still stays with me, "A day is a day, and every day counts."

It was a very very difficult 2 years for her, but all bad things come to an end. This life we have here on earth is temporary and just a small moment compared to the eternities to come. Our hope is in Christ. He is the light of the world and things will be made right in the end through Him.

Richard said...

Thanks for the remembrance!

Anonymous said...

I love this post!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...