I thought these pictures were gone forever,
but I found them today.
Sunday, my son Logan, said he feels he has turned into me since becoming a parent. Not his exact words, but close enough. He says when he enters a room he looks around now and tries to think of every possible scenario that could hurt his babies. He tries, in other words, to stay on top of the game.
This made me think of my friend Carol who works at Children's Hospital. She was telling me about a 3 year old who will never be the same again because a flat screen TV fell on her head. Of course we didn't have flat screen TVs when my sons were growing up, but I hadn't even thought now of those as being a danger.
Logan says, no problem, he has his flat screen TVs bolted down.
So today as I was looking for something in the garage, I ran across these pictures from 1986. As hard as I tried back then to think of any possible dangers, this one I hadn't thought of until it happened.
It was a cold October evening and we had just all sat down to eat dinner. I had just unplugged the crockpot with a very hot roast inside and placed it in the center of the table. Tyler who was 10 months old, and just beginning to walk on his own, was toddling around the table while we ate. Suddenly I saw the crockpot move quickly across the table. I knew in an instant what was happening and I flew out of my chair but I was too late.
Tyler had pulled the dangling cord, the roast landing on his back. His Dad and I both leaped to pull the scalding roast off of our baby and he wanted to take him right to ER. I remembered a First Aid class my Mom had recently taught in Relief Society...she had practiced the lesson on me, and I knew we had to get him under cold water.
I took him right over to the sink and put him in there with the dirty dishes, and turned on the faucet. Then I got the doctor on the phone (no cordless phones back then but the phone was right by the sink). His pediatrician said to keep him there in the sink with the water running, that I was doing the right thing.
I remember that night, Tyler's Daddy holding him all night long while he slept.
Next day I brought Tyler in to see the Dr and he said the 2nd degree burns would have turned into 3rd degree had we brought him to the hospital rather than kept him in the water. I have since learned that some burns are best kept away from water, but not so in this case.
So here are the pictures.
They were taken a few days after the accident,
when Tyler was happy again.
If it helps anyone think about dangling cords, and even flat TV screens, then it was worth it.
Right after I called the doctor that evening, and with Tyler still in the sink, I called my Mom and told her what happened. Then I remember tearfully asking her, "Will he be okay?" She said he would be fine. Her voice reassured me.
Later I laughed, thinking...'what could she know?'
She wasn't even there.
But my Mom had that magical way of making me feel better.