The best Carmel Corn

Several people have asked me for this recipe, so here it is.

If you like Carmel Corn this will be your favorite.


15 minutes after you make it, it is crispy and not wet. Perfect carmel corn flavor. You'll see.


Here's what you'll need.
Preheat oven to 225'


*3 qts freshly popped popcorn (about 2/3 c unpopped)see instructions below
1 c roasted cashews
1 c roasted macadamia nuts
1 c pecan halves
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 c butter (1 cube)
1 t vanilla 
1/2 t baking soda (make sure there are no lumps in it)

Combine the popcorn and nuts in a large roasting pan that has been sprayed with Pam.
In saucepan over medium heat combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Then boil for 4 minutes without stirring.

Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and baking soda. Stir well and gradually pour the glaze over the popped corn mixture, stirring to coat well.



Put pan in 225' oven for 15 minutes. Remove, stir well. Back in the oven another 15 minutes. Repeat process 4 times total (this would add up to 1 hour baking time)


If you are over 50 years old, you will need to use these pieces of tape....pull off one each time you pull your pan out of the oven. This will avoid having to say, "Was it 3 or 4 times I have done this process so far?" If you are under 50, you won't know what I am talking about.

Pour mixture from the oven onto wax paper covering your counter.
Let cool and dry (doesn't take long!), and then put in airtight container.

I made some for my 14 year old church girls tonight. 
Just had 4 girls and they ate nearly the whole batch,
and kept telling me how much they loved it. 
One even said, "This is the best Carmel Corn I have ever had."
Of course it is.

I am very thankful to the wonderful woman who gave this recipe to me, just last month. I've made it several times since then, for gifts.

*Instructions for making fresh popcorn: Put 2-3 T oil in pan with lid. Put 1 kernel in pan and close lid and wait. When you hear that one kernel pop, add 1/3 c popcorn. Close lid and using 2 oven mitts, alternate shaking pan and slight resting on burner till the popping ceases. Then repeat with another 1/3 c  unpopped corn. The second batch goes much quicker than the first (since the pan is already warmed  up)

14 comments:

Susan Rozier said...

What a WONDERFUL recipe. Caramel Corn w/Nuts is my all time favorite thing in life! I would definitely have to use the scotch tape method. I also have to put a check by each ingredient as I add it! Thanks for this. I'm all over it as gifts (my intention), but alas and alack, it may be for my personal consumption. Love, Susan

Nate and Julie said...

This looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it!

grandmapeg said...

It looks delicious! I would definitely have to use the tape as a reminder :-)))

Susan Anderson said...

That tape thing is a GREAT idea.

I will have to tell my mom to come and check this out. She likes carmel corn and is always up for a new recipe!

=)

Grandma Honey said...

Sue- This is your Mom's recipe!!

Susan- I didn't know you liked Carmel Corn. I will make you some and bring it over. Not sure when, but soon.

Julie and GrandmaPeg- If you try this please come back and tell me what you think.

Rebecca said...

WOW this looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it. My family loves carmel corn! Hehe that part abotu the pieces of tape is funny, that would be just for me, I for sure would have to do this!

darlene said...

You are so funny, Jill! I loved the bit about putting tape on the counter to remind you how many times you've stirred the corn. Love it! Yes, the memory does seem to diminish around 50!

Heather said...

Do not feel bad about the tape thing, I was making french bread with a friend last week and the recipe requires you to let the dough rise for 10 minutes, then stir it down, 5 times. Somewhere in the middle I asked my friend, "Is this the 3rd or 4th time?" We should have used the tape system, although the next time I was smarter and looked at the clock when I started the rising process, knowing that it should take about 50 minutes total. :-)

Annette said...

oh my goodness I LOVE THE TAPE! Genius! Looks good I will have to try it... I have a great soft caramel corn recipe... you do in the microwave! It's yummy too!

Ammy said...

YUM! I have been on a quest to find a good recipe for Caramel corn. I am excited to try this. And the tape thing....I am not even 40 and I need to do this. What a good idea!

Scrapally said...

Yum! (except for the nuts...) I love your tape system and think your are going to be famous now for recommending it. Everyone is going to "borrow" your idea! I'm not "quite" 50 yet, but would need it to help count off the times. Thanks for sharing!

Karen Mortensen said...

Looks wonderful. Anything with popcorn is on my diet. I love the tape on the counter. I need to do that.

the Rich girl said...

Jill, I have been craving caramel popcorn. I'll have to give this a try soon! It looks so good!

Richard said...

I tried the recipe but I must not have the magic touch...none of my ingredients properly melted and the pieces of tape are not digestible even after time in the oven...

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...