We have to wait to learn the answer...

Today my Dad would be 89! 

I'm glad my Dad is not still with us, because that would mean he would still be suffering, and we're so thankful he's not. 

We know he's happy. 

I do reflect back to last February 12th...just 2 days before he passed. This was the last time he sat in his wheel chair. 

Normally he would ask me to get his friend Barbara across the hall when he was having a hard time...or even when he wasn't. 

But on that day when I asked, "Do you want me to get Barbara?" He said flatly and firmly, "No." 

She came anyway. 





She wasn't able to comfort him this time. So after she left,  I just sat on the nearby couch and watched my Dad.

He was completely awake and aware, yet I found it curious that he kept raising his arms up and out like he was trying to grab something in the air. He did this over and over again. I'd never seen him do anything like this. 

I wish, I so wish now, I would have asked him why he was doing that. He would have told me. But I didn't. 

I finally got my camera out and tried to capture what I saw but by then it wasn't as obvious, but you can still kind of see in these pictures. 

He looks asleep here, but he wasn't. 
And no, his eyes weren't totally closed.


He hadn't had good use of his hands in a long time, but he's trying to grab whatever it is he sees with his index finger and thumb. 
 Later when I asked hospice about this, they told me it's very common for a person to do as they get close to passing. His hospice nurse told me the dying try to grasp something invisible.  

Something invisible? Maybe to us, but not to him.

Then I mentioned this to someone else, but can't remember who it was. A friend? My sister? I don't remember, but they offered this idea, "He may be seeing people from the other side. And maybe he is trying to reach out and touch them."  

He did mention to my sister Robin, I think the next day, something about Gaynor. (our Mom) She couldn't make out his words but she did hear Gaynor. 

Perhaps that's who he was seeing? 

We aren't privileged to know that, yet. But someday we will. And someday our Dad will be able to tell us all about that day, and 2 days later when he passed, and all the days since. 




I can tell this cartoon was saved by my Mom since it was cut with pinking sheers. 

4 comments:

grandmapeg said...

I definitely believe when a person that is that close to passing, that they see loved ones and try to have some form of connection with them. I saw that with my dad and Craig's mom. It's comforting to know that they have loved ones waiting there for them.

Anonymous said...

My dad did exactly the same thing. He reached for something again and again. I asked him what he was reaching for and it caused him to come back to this realm. He couldn't tell me. It's like he was in another place when he reached. When I talked to him, he came back into himself and couldn't share what it was. It was like he was DREAMING. At one point, he was looking out the window and said, "I didn't know we lived by the beach." When questioned, he said he saw the beach out the window, which he enjoyed very much. He also saw other people who were standing among his family who were gathered around his bed. He couldn't say who they were, but they were friendly. Passing from this world to the next is pretty mysterious.

darlene

Unknown said...

I can't believe he is gone. He was an awesome man. I bet he saw Gaynor. Maybe his parents too. Karen Mortensen

Anonymous said...

I never heard this story! I so wish I could have been with him more that last week, but am very glad that you were able to, and thanks for sharing this!
I did have some sort of similar experiences with Grandma Lella before she died. She would say funny things like ,"I see my white clothes coming" and she talked about a Mr. White that was in the room that I couldn't see.

Now that i have Dad's computer set up with your blog bookmarked, I should be reading your blog more often, thanks to Dad! I know you have a lot of people that read your blog, but he was certainly one of your biggest fans.
Heidi

Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...