Try this squash in the crockpot!

 Do you ever see these in the grocery store and wonder what to do with them?

 
I tried a great recipe for this in my crockpot a few nights ago.


1 acorn squash
2 apples: peeled, cored, and diced (I left the peel on mine)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (I like a little more than this.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


The Directions.
Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Cut the acorn squash in half. This is hard! The author found the easiest way is to microwave the squash for a minute on high to soften the skin. Then use a knife to cut it right down the middle.
Scoop out the seeds and discard. Put the squash into an empty slow cooker, skin side down. 
In a small mixing bowl, combine the cut up apple, melted butter, brown sugar, walnuts, salt, and cinnamon. Scoop this concoction into the acorn halves.
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3.


Mine didn't look exactly like this photo, but it was SO GOOD.


Acorn squash is loaded with Vitamin A and C, plus magnesium, calcium and potassium 
which we need right now going into flu season.

This is all thanks to the Crockpot Lady, and her new book Den gave me for Christmas:


We had it with this recipe.which we loved too.  (minus the hot sauce, and brown rice instead of white because Dennis will not eat white rice.)
But really, this squash would taste good with anything.

This author was on GMA this past week. Watch the short video of her making Enchilada chili.
Watching it and tell me if you don't feel like getting out your crockpot!!

10 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That looks so good. I just might start liking squash.

Susan Anderson said...

Yum, yum, yum. And I LOVE squash, especially when I can just put it in the crockpot and forget it!

=)

kelly said...

I think I want that cook book, I love using the crock pot. I'd much rather do all the dinner work in the morning.

Grandma Honey said...

Kelly~
You don't even need to buy the book. I think she has most of her recipes on her website.
www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Richard said...

Acorn squash? I'll keep an eye out for that one on the dollar menu at McDonalds.

Susan Rozier said...

Sounds delicious!!! Thanks too for the blog site. I'll look forward to doing some crocking! Love, Susan

Heather said...

Yummy, I want to make this squash recipe! What kind of apples did you use? I love my crockpot!

Glad you liked the Thai Honey Peanut Chicken. :-)

Grandma Honey said...

Heather~~ I used pink lady apples because that's what we had. I think any kind would work. Let me know if you try it.

Kris said...

Oh my goodness...that looks delightful! I've got to try!

Lisa said...

Gonna have to try this one for sure! Didn't know it was so packed with good things!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...