She had a little incident

 To a 10 year old little girl, getting a splinter in her foot is a big deal

It reminded Violet of the other times it happened. 

And how it hurt to get it taken out. 


So I suggested she just lie on the couch and 

watch a movie with her Idaho cousins.


Violet thought that was a lovely idea.

(And Grandmas are not about anything painful.)


Cousin Juliet sat by her side, her little support person.


Meanwhile I texted Violet's parents to let them know.
Her Dad insisted on coming over and taking care of it. 

But Violet did not want that, I told him.
He said, Mom, I have to get it out. 

And so he arrived.

He said, "Violet I need your foot.
I've got to get the splinter out." 

She said, "NO, I don't want that. I'm too scared."

All the cousins gathered around reverently watching.
They all had sad looks on their faces.
They understood the dilemma. 

Poor Violet, they all thought. 
I could tell all they thought that. 

"Please give me your foot, Violet. 
If I don't take that splinter out, it will get infected.
You need to be brave."

"But I'm too scared." 

"That's okay to be scared. You can be scared and also brave."

 She pleaded, NO.
Her Dad patiently waited for her to make the right decision. 

I asked if she would like us to pray.
She said yes, so we all prayed for her.
Daddy, Grandma Honey, Aunt Karen, and her 4 Idaho cousins

She finally handed over her foot. 

I told her I just read an article that if people smile or grimace 
while getting a shot, it will hurt less. 



Violet decided to be brave. 
Cousin Juliet put her purse down, and held her hand.


I think it was the first time I saw Juliet 
put her purse down the whole week. 

Daddy worked hard and it was soon OUT.
He was so proud of his brave little girl.

Violet said she smiled while Daddy worked on her.
And she also pretended in her mind she was at the beach. 
I told her she meditated. 

You can't see her cousins across the room but they were all happy 
again, but still very reverent. And in awe.

Juliet was especially happy for her.
She put her purse back on her shoulder now that the crisis had passed.



And they hugged with the purse between them. 





Some times the hard things in life are best when your cousins are 
watching, and feeling your pain right along with you.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story. Glad it turned out well.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...