My Day at Church

I usually come home from church feeling 
renewed and enlightened and happy. 

But I want to be able to hold on to those feelings more, 
so last week I decided to just jot down impressions 
that were meaningful to me:

1. While we were all singing the opening song, "Behold the Great Redeemer Died" in walks Laura P
(who has MS) pushing her visiting friend in her wheel chair. That was a moment. A sweet one in awe
over Laura.

2. Lauren S, who is just 13, played the piano for all the hymns today. Never have I seen someone so
young do this in Sacrament meeting.

3. We have testimony meeting once a month where who ever would like to, may share their testimony
of the Savior and how He influences their life. MF said, "Families would not bring as much joy to 
us if we just got to have them for a short period of time." (as in not forever)

4. RH said this in his testimony: "I have seen many miracles in my family through fasting and 
prayer."

5. As one of our missionaries gave his testimony talking about how grateful he is for Heavenly
Father's love, I couldn't help but think of the missionaries who brought the gospel to my parents back
in 1955, and changed generations in our family.

6. Jonas and Téa (their parents were out of town) were with me and sitting so quietly. They waited
until after the Sacrament before they brought out their coloring books. Then kneeling at their chairs
and using those as their desks, they colored pictures of Jesus.

7. KF in her testimony talked about how grateful she is to be the stake historian because she gets to
see the Lord's hands in the different activities in all the wards.

8. RN, an older gentlemen, said, "I love the Lord, and I know He loves me." 

9. TF, a single mom who has put herself through school and now has a job, said, "The prayers of 
many is what has helped us get through so much."

10. JP said in his testimony, "I am thankful for all those who have taught my children the 
gospel." Oh my, do I ever agree! One of my biggest regrets is that I did not express my thanks to
every teacher my sons had through the years. I could NOT have done this all by myself.

11. The twins kept saying they did not want to stay for Primary. I told them they would be fine. I
thought they were just feeling a little shy since our ward is not their regular attended ward. Finally
they admitted that they were afraid of the HELLO song that the kids always sing to visitors. I told
them we would wait out in the hallway until if was over. Finally the HELLO song was over so I
walked them inside. As soon as they got seated the chorister said, "Oh here are the Heasley twins. 
Let's sing the HELLO song again." And so they did! And we all happily survived.

12. JP in her Sunday School lesson talked about this quote that changed her daughter's life (from a
seminary teacher) :  "The Lord will have a humble people, and if they are not humble, the Lord will
humble them."

13. KS made a comment in Relief Society (our women's meeting) about how there is this one person
in her life who is causing her so much grief. She says she does not have a hard time apologizing for
anything but is realizing that she needs to forgive in order to be forgiven. So she is working on
forgiving this person. She is trying to love them. So far she can't say she loves them, but she's trying.

14. On the way home from church with the twins in the back seat, on came the choir singing, "I'm 
Trying to Be Like Jesus." ...it struck me differently this time. I'm now hearing, "I'm trying to love 
my neighbor." I'm trying. The song does not say, "I love my neighbor" or "I live as He did." but
instead it says, "I'm trying to live as He did." Maybe there's hope for me yet.

5 comments:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I am so glad I read this now....hours before church.What a lovely thing to do, focus is everything isn't it?
Happy Shabat to you my friend...I am going to attend church today with a different attitude.
xoxo

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you Donna for your kind words. I wasn't sure this would mean anything to anyone but me. :)

Susan Anderson said...

What a wonderful post. I've had many Sundays like this one. Thanks for the reminder of all the beautiful things that come my way when I am in tune with the Spirit and my ward family.

=)

grandmapeg said...

The most important thing to me that you jotted down was #14. "I'm trying" is indeed the key word for me and when I feel that I haven't done enough, I have to remind myself that I really am trying to do better and to love better. I love that song! Thanks for the reminder!

Scrapally said...

Beautiful Sabbath day. Love hearing your insights!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...