So I read this book a few weeks ago about extroverts and introverts...
It took me until about chapter 4 before I started liking it....
That was when I began reading about this study launched in 1989 with 500 four month olds.
This professor was able to predict, after individually spending about 45 minutes with each baby,
which ones would be introverts and which ones would be extroverts later in life.
He had about 60% accuracy only because the other 40% of babies
fell somewhere between the extremes of being an introvert or extrovert.
But it was not what I thought. The placid unreactive babies...
the ones who would just calmly lie there while balloons popped,
or who had colorful mobiles dance before their eyes, etc he predicted would be the extroverts!
(and years later he was proved right). The opposite was true of the introverted babies....
they were the ones who pumped their arms and legs to new sights, sounds, and smells.
Who would have thought! I would have guessed just the opposite.
So there must really be something to the belief by some that
the more difficult babies make for the quieter teenagers.
And not just that, but introverted children (not to be confused with shy.....
(there are shy and non shy introverts)
are more malliable and teachable because they are more sensitive from birth.
They tend to think deeper and more thoughtful, and are not big risk takers or impulsive....
thus helping them to keep out of trouble more.
What is an introvert?
Perhaps not what you would think. The more you answer yes to any of these statements, the more introverted you are.
I also thought introverts were in the majority. Not so according to this book.
They are only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the population.
Also, did you know there are many introverts who pretend to be extroverts?
Like I always say, nothing is more interesting than people.
So if you have ever had a 4 month old, was he or she highly reactive?
Did he or she later lean towards the qualities on the list above? Just wondering.