Favorites from January

Gretchen Rubin, from The Happiness Project, suggests we 
"Keep a running list of your favorites." 

So I thought I'd try this for January.

(I do wonder how many times I've forgotten something good that I've discovered. 

This year, hopefully, will be different.)


RX Bars Maple Sea Salt….


Don't worry, Den says the no BS stands for "no brown sugar." It's like having a mini meal in my
purse. RX Bars have other flavors, but this is the only one we've tried so far. Den says they make
nice church snacks. Beats Tic Tacs. 
Nutritional Yeast


I've heard about this for years but it just didn't sound very appealing to me. Finally I brought
some home. This makes just about everything taste better! I’ve had to be dairy free for over 20
years but I finally found something that tastes like cheese, plus who doesn’t need the extra
vitamins. I put it on salad and vegetables, so far.
Homemade lentil soup 
My friend taught me the best lentil soup is made with just water as the base…adding carrots, 
celery, potato, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. and whatever else you want to season it up with. 
Lentils are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. They are cheap, and filling, too. This 
soup freezes well so I put the extras in little containers and we can have it for lunch whenever we 
want. 
Trader Joe’s Season Salt


Makes meats, vegetables and potatoes taste better. I'm not a fan of nutmeg, but for some reason 
I don't notice it in this. I love the added flavor it gives.
Bragg’s Organic Sprinkle

A good blend of spices and herbs. I think I like it better put in things before cooking so it breaks
down the slivers of Rosemary. But I still sprinkle it on fresh things. 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Braggs



I got re-comitted to this oil when I was googling about how much it helps with digestion. My
stomach has been feeling better since using it. I try to get 2 T of it on food throughout the day…
1 t in my smoothie. The rest on vegetables. 
Trader Joes Grilled Cauliflower



I think this is my favorite find for the whole month.I have passed this up in the freezer section in
Trader Joes for years. Finally a friend convinced me to give it a try. It's already grilled before
frozen which gives it a natural sweetness. They add nothing to it but a little salt. Just bake on a
cookie sheet…says 12-15 min but I think I left mine in near 30 min….maybe not that long. Tastes
SO good. Didn’t even need anything on it. 

Trader Joes Onion Salt

This boring looking little jar is full of flavor! It's a great blend of onion, garlic, salt, green 
onion and chives. This has probably been at TJs for years too, but just tried it last month. 
It's a nice switch from Lemon Pepper that I usually put on most everything. Salt is 4th on 
the list of ingredients so it mainly gets seasoned by the other things

As you can tell, I got a little adventurous 
at Trader Joes in January.

So that's it for now!

7 comments:

Richard said...

That's a lot of different seasonings for someone that doesn't eat much...I'll try the cauliflower but I won't be rushing out to get the yeast sprinkles.

Anonymous said...

Try nutritional yeast on popcorn. It's fabulous!
darlene

Unknown said...

Mak LOVES the RX bars.

Anonymous said...

Good idea! I liked seeing some of your latest favorites. I haven't tried most of these, besides the nutritional yeast and one of the seasonings.
Heidi

Anonymous said...

You are on my list of favorites!

krheasley said...

I think if I made a list of my favorites for this month, Gretchen Rubin would have to be on it! I have been listening to her audiobook, Better Than Before. I'm not very far into it, but I'm already fascinated by some of the questions she puts to herself to get to know who "Gretchen" really is! It's definitely made me think more about who I really am too. And I'm excited to see what all she has to say about becoming "better than before." (Have you read that one, Jill?)

I'm so glad you turned me on to her! I really have been so enjoying her books/podcast. :)

Grandma Honey said...

Yes I've read all her books from The Happiness Project on (not the ones before that about Winston Churchill, etc) I have them well marked and underlined. I love that her books are not full of fluff, but well researched and she puts her whole heart into them. She has this great ability of being able to intertwine her personal life to the research, making her ideas come to life for the reader.

So did you mean you listen to her weekly podcast too? It's my favorite. She and her sister continue to share such great ideas....like creating a bucket list of 18 things you want to do for 2018. I just checked another one off tonight: "Somehow, someway watch the movie WONDER with Elora." Outstanding movie by the way! We loved it.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...