Respect makes a difference

I saw something this week at Savemart I'd never quite seen before. 

This was the first time Den and I had been out in public, except for two dental appointments, in weeks and weeks. 

We were wearing masks. 

While standing in line to check out, this one woman gets in line behind us. She was maskless (as were about half the customers.) Then suddenly she backs up at least 6 feet, but more like 10 feet, and waits there instead. 

This was particularly noticeable because no one else was distancing in any of the other lines.

It was obvious to me, that while she was maskless and most likely believed differently than us in that regard, she showed respect for our beliefs or concerns, and gave us space. 

I was very touched by her kindness, and also by her character. I was hoping to tell her so but we were soon put in another line and I lost sight of her. 

It was a sweet experience I'm thankful we got to witness. 

Quite different from how we both felt last November coming home from the UPS store. As we were getting in the car, we noticed a sign in the window of a small business...


If you can't see the sign, it reads:

MASK USE STRICTLY
PROHIBITED ON THIS
ENTIRE PROPERTY

IF YOU ARE SCARED
STAY HOME

I guess it's no wonder there were no customers inside.

We do have rights, and we can make choices.
But kindness with those choices makes a HUGE difference.



No comments:

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...