Some of my Mom's words...

I'm guessing that was her granddaughter Julie??...
I think she was born the same year Mom wrote this below.


I came across this today. My Mom wrote it on March 24, 1985


 "When I was 13 years old my family and I moved from the farm into town. For the first time in my life I began attending a small neighborhood church. We didn’t have a minister only a Sunday school superintendent. She was a wonderful teacher and example. We had a very small youth group who met on Sunday nights and for Bible study one noon hour a week. On Saturday we sang on the “Radio Kids Bible Club.”  (In those days 13 was much younger than it is today!)


There I learned many Sunday School type songs. One of them told about having the “peace that passes understanding”  in my heart and mind. We sang that line over and over and I had no idea what it meant.


A dozen years later I open the door to two Mormon elders and they told me about the restored gospel. From the beginning I knew it was true but it was so logical and easy to understand and accept that I sometimes wondered if it were just me, or if the Holy Ghost was really testifying to me that it was true.


Before long I began to realize that I now had that “peace that passes understanding”in my heart and mind. For 34 years it has been the same. Sometimes I know I am not worthy but it is a gift that I have been given. That holy comforter who is promised to those who believe and are baptized.


No matter what happens in my life, when I am discouraged, upset, frightened, or frustrated it helps me remember what is truly important. It gives me comfort and peace of mind. I am not alone. This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

4 comments:

richard said...

Wendy took one peek at the baby and quickly said, "that's Whitney!" Whit was born in Nov of 1985, so she is about the right age to be in that Santa outfit...I trust Wendy to know her kids photos, but I cannot tell them apart before about age 2!

Please keep posting parts of moms journals. Very fun and comforting to read.

Grandma Honey said...

Whitney? I hadn't thought of her. I was thinking Julie or Nick since those 2 look alike. Okay, Whitney wins!

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy all your posts; the ones about your mother and her journal entries are particularly special. To have the gift of her thoughts in writing is a treasure.
Please post more often, about anything; what you write is a gift to all of us, to your children, grandchildren, and generations to come. pjc

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this Jill!!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...