Stealing diapers

While Den and I were going through check out at Savemart last night, the manager quickly came up and threw several large boxes of diapers near the register. 


(Actually the diapers last night were red, so I think they were Huggies)

Then he announced to the checker that he just intercepted a man trying to steal them. The manager said he could even see a driver ready to take off after those diapers were loaded up. 

But instead, he was able to stop the thief and rescue the diapers, which he estimated were $120. worth.

Listening in, I asked the manager, "So what did the guy say when you took the diapers away from him?" 

"Nothing."

"Did you call the police?" 

He shook his head and said, "No, no need. I got the diapers back so all is well." 

All is well? But that thief is just going to try it again at the next store. 

When did this become okay? 

Den told me on the way home that shoplifting is hardly considered a crime anymore. Really??

This world is worse than I thought. 



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I keep finding is that the world is both better AND worse than I think.
darlene

Grandma Honey said...

Now that you mention it Darlene, I see what you mean. We are getting much better in some ways, but horrible in others.

lindsay lark said...

While I don’t ever condone stealing, I can’t help but feel sad for the almost thief. I can’t imagine what type of circumstances a person must be in to feel that they had to steal in order to care for their child.

Grandma Honey said...

I wondered that too, Lindsay. Many thoughts went through my head. If I were standing right there would I have just volunteered to pay for the diapers? But then wouldn't that be rewarding bad behavior? Wouldn't it have been easier and more productive for the thief to steal something much smaller and worth more?

But then I keep thinking about his baby.

Anonymous said...

"It was the best of times and the worst of times."

darlene

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...