10 moments in December



Here's 10 things before Christmas, I don't want to forget:


1. One evening while Den and I were out having dinner, I got a text from a friend that read, "Run! Don't walk to the craft store to get these for Tyler's kids when they come to visit."





She had remembered I looked EVERYWHERE for these last Christmas. ...The grands loved them, btw.

2. A lady in our neighborhood bookclub made these bookmarks for all 8 of us in the club. Pictures of all the books we reviewed since we began 2 1/2 years ago. 


Disclaimer: I didn't read all of them. 
And I can't recommend all the ones I did read, but there were some good ones too!


3. Den wasn't able to set up our tree this year due to his back hurting. 

We sort of missed having a tree.

Our ministering brother from church, who knew nothing about this, brought us over a poinsettia the week before Christmas. I would never had known that a simple little red plant would have brought us so much joy, but it did!



4. Everywhere we went throughout the month of December people were saying Merry Christmas to us....even before we said it to them! Something had drastically changed since last year. We don't know what or why, but it was SO nice to hear.


5. I was bored while waiting with Den to see his neurologist so I took this picture and sent it to a friend. 
She right away texted back:
"You need to buy him some cool socks. haha  Have you seen the BYU ones?" 

And she proceeded to send me some links. I did buy the socks, and he was happy Christmas morning! 

We get by with a little help from our friends.

6. Right before our Christmas church service on the 22nd, I walked to the back row of the chapel to say Merry Christmas to a couple I'd known for years. She said to me, "Just think Jill, we could be sitting side by side today." 

I just stared at her trying to think what she meant. Then she said, "With Dennis' stroke, and Mike's heart problems we could be widows right now sitting together." 

Nothing like immediate perspective.

7. During that same church service I turned around to see who was behind us like I always do, and then had to do a double take. There was Sierra and Thomas sitting together with their 11 month old baby boy. I had thought Thomas was still in Iraq...he wasn't suppose to get back until January!  

But there he was with his wife and baby son. This sight made me SO happy since I had worried and prayed for this little family since he was deployed there shortly after their baby was born.

I told them after the meeting that if nothing else good happens to me this Christmas, this is enough....just knowing they are back together again!

8. I also noticed that day at church another young couple sitting in front of us. Throughout much of the service the man had his arm dangling down beside him, which I couldn't figure out. I finally realized he was holding hands with his 4 month old daughter from her little carrier below! The sweetest sight! This went on for about half the meeting.

9. On Christmas Eve as Den and I were driving out of Savemart parking lot we saw a very elderly man walking sort stooped over, while carrying in his hands, a pie and a can of beans. I told Den, it was so sad. That elderly hunched over man was going to be alone for Christmas with his pie and can of beans. 

Den saw it differently. He said, "Oh he's going to his family gathering and his son asked him..."hey Dad, can you bring a pie and a can of beans?" 

I'm hoping Den's version was the correct one!

10. Later on in that night on Christmas Eve, I felt a bit down with my leg hurting and Dennis pretty much having to wait on me. But then I thought, wait a sec.....I told that couple in our ward I was going to be happy for them regardless. It worked, and I was! 

I pictured them getting to celebrate Christmas with their baby boy....after being apart for 9 months! It truly did make our Christmas special too. 

Beside the fact that we have a pretty darn good life...and we knew Karen and Tyler and their 4 would be arriving the 26th!  


4 comments:

Richard said...

This post was obviously written by someone who internalized the lessons of the movie Pollyanna, which she saw multiple times when very young.

Anonymous said...

All you need to be happy is between your two ears. Attitude!

darlene

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful post!

#1: I bought something similiar to the gingerbread house that I think you would enjoy equally....an 'ugly sweater cookie decorating kit'. I had gotten one years ago and it was a fun family time so this year I bought another. The kit includes the cookies, icing, and sprinkles.

#3. Pointsettias are beautiful....I hope yours last a very long time. I also noticed how tidy and pretty your rooms are.

#5. My husband wears white socks year round unless I lay out other colors. I hesitate to put this in writing but he also wears socks with sandals.

#9. I think you are both correct. The pie is for the family gathering and the can of beans is his meal for the day after. Hope the family sent him home with plenty of leftovers.

Glad to see that Richard is well and kicking. I truly miss his 'words of wisdom'. pjc

Richard said...

Thank you pjc...Jill censors about half my comments and they don’t get published. You’ve heard of PG13? Well she holds me to a PG8 standard.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...