One of her journal entries...

While working yesterday on Mom's journals I came across this entry from March 25, 1984:

"I saw Sharon Richey at the store on Tuesday and she asked what I was up to, and I said, "Oh not much." 

But I thought:  My Mom is dying at our home, the boys are sick, I have to clean the carpet for the fireside, Richard and Wendy are moving and need help, Jill has a new baby and the flu, Jeff and Peggy opened their new jewelry store this week, Peggy is pregnant and I have a book review coming up in 3 weeks. Also the Relief Society does require a bit of my time. (she was the president). But I'll get thru it. No real problems and for that I am grateful. Chris wants me to stop typing so he can sleep."


Yep, that's our Mom. She absorbed everything her kids were going through at any given time. Always there for us all. 

4 comments:

Sonja Kland said...

So very true of your mom!

Love,
Sonja

Tyler Heasley said...

This is great. We always respond with “not much” when people ask us what’s going on, but most of the time we all have a lot going on that we don’t want to burden anyone with.

Anonymous said...

What a mom you had!! I agree with Tyler about 'sharing' news. Our troubles seem big to us sometimes but maybe small to others.

This posts reminds me of the time I was at a store and asked an aquaintance how she was. She went on and on how her child had a cold. It was just a cold but she made it sound as though it was the most awful thing that ever happened in their home. Perhaps it was. Perhaps she felt overwhelmed not knowing how or when the cold would end.

Then she asked how my family was. I told her that my young daughter (age 7) had been in the hospital because she was diagnosed with a rare, major muscle disease. All of a sudden, the woman was silent and in shock realizing just how petty she sounded about her child who just had the sniffles.

We both had something in common...we were concerned for our children and shared our burdens. pjc

Grandma Honey said...

It's all perspective, right?

The very next day after my Mom wrote that journal entry, March 29, 1985...she was with me when I took newborn McKay in for a 3 week checkup. We both watched as the doctor kept listening to his heart and then told us he needed to go to the hospital right then. Her life suddenly became even more complicated. She was with me every step of the way...either with me at the hospital or at home taking care of my other boys. I was somewhat oblivious to all else that was going on in her life at the time!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...