Christmas Eves from the past...

Den and I had to miss the annual Rozier Christmas Eve tonight....

Instead, here are a few of my journal entries, all written on past Christmas Eve's....


2018
This morning about 7:15 Robin called to tell me Susan had passed away. I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. She had that awful head trauma including several staples in her head just 3 days ago. I think she probably died of a brain bleed. I’m thankful we got to spend all that extra time with her on Friday night. We will miss her terribly. She was so pure, sweet, kind and SO GOOD to my Dad. She loved to laugh! It was fun to go see them because she was excited to ask about our lives. 

As they were bringing her body out this morning, Dad grabbed her hand and sang the song, “Have I told you lately that I loved you?” Heidi said he was singing the song to her last night when she walked in on them....he was in his room and she was in hers, and here he was in bed singing to her.

Christmas Eve at Carly and Enoch Sears in Visalia. Sad Dad sitting there having just lost his sweetheart and best friend and wife earlier this morning. Heidi fed him.

2017
Poor Richie got sick at the Rozier Christmas party and had to leave early with Tyler. But Leo, full swing ahead. He took his part as a shepherd SO seriously. There was a really sweet spirit in the house there at the Shepards. A spirit of love and helping. Heidi spoon feeding Dad… Dave and Scott helping Dad out the door, the girl teenage cousins all on the couch side by side with happy smiles on their faces, Susan wanting and asking for cranberries for her ham.

2016
After our Christmas Eve gathering at John and Suzanne’s, and before he lead us in prayer, John looked at Dad and said, “Because of the decisions you and Mom made 61 years ago, look what has happened..” and he pointed his hand around the room. In his prayer John said thanks for the good choices of his parents.

2015
Glorious evening. My siblings and I all lined up against the back drop of John and Suzanne’s fireplace. Someone said, “I feel like someone is missing.” John said back, “It’s Chris. But we aren’t going to think about that right now.” I turned to look at my Dad and he was sobbing. Someone said to him, “Feeling bad Dad that you didn’t stop at 2?”

2014
The ride home from John and Suzanne's just now was NOT fun. I feel so uncomfortable in Dad's rickety old van. We feel every little bump of the road. I kept telling myself the ONLY reason I put up with it is for my Dad, because it means so much to him to be able to be with family.


1979 (from Mom's journal)
Busy day--did the route early. Then bought groceries. Cooked a turkey and made ice cream dessert. Had the whole family over for dinner. All 8 kids. Wendy and Bill, Grandma, Brock, Logan, Little Robin, Natalie and Chip. Had a nice family nite after. The kind of a Christmas Eve you dream about. Just about perfect.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this Jill! We missed seeing you at the Christmas party, but thank you for sharing this!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...