List of 13 tender mercies the past 2 weeks

I was thinking of all the things, since Den had his stroke 2 weeks ago, that came into place and were so helpful to us. 
(and I'm sure I'm leaving much out)

Here's my list:

1. Den's kids gave us a Roomba vacuum for Christmas. Den worked with it a few times but it just wasn't doing what it was suppose to.


Fast forward 8 months later.

So the very week before the stroke, Karen was here and she said she could probably figure it out, and she did! Now all I do is turn it on with my phone and Googoogaga (Leo named it) goes all over our house vacuuming. 

What a blessing this has been the past 2 weeks. 
One less chore I have to do.


2. Grocery delivery! We had tried grocery pick up before but never delivery. But the first few days he was home, I couldn't well leave Den alone, so this felt more like groceries from heaven.


Yes, Costco delivery.
They say their prices are higher for home delivery, but I couldn't tell much difference, but then I don't keep track of prices so I'm not sure...but totally worth it!



3. Den just happened to buy these shoes at Costco a few weeks before his stroke. Since he can't tie his shoes yet, these are perfect.



4. This mini crockpot which I normally only use a few times a year, was so convenient last week. I'd just put our oatmeal in the night before and it was ready come morning. Mornings were particularly busy with the help he needed to get ready and the therapists coming.
He's back to making his own breakfast now, which he prefers.




5. Our life suddenly became a little easier the day Den got his handicap placard for the car. 

It was also such good news to learn we could get this done at AAA and not the DMV. AAA was practically empty except for us, 3 workers, and one other customer! 
And we're told, if you are a member,  they do many transactions you usually go to DMV for. I had no idea!

6. Since Den and I go to Farmer's Market every Saturday morning, it was as little tricky that first week he was home. So that first Saturday I just told him to do no more than breath until I returned with our wonderful fresh produce. 

By the next Saturday he was able to go with me!




7. What a blessing it has been having the Physical Therapist and Occupational Therapists, and the nurse coming to our home! The PT comes three times a week, OT twice a week, and nurse once a week. I've been told this is just a special service only Kaiser provides?



8. This little pill organizer from amazon we love!
Push button, and nothing ever falls out. 



9. I have to mention this one. Turns out every single day Den was in the hospital, I was able to readily find a perfect parking place! 
 This may not seem like much, but Kaiser parking lot was packed! It meant a lot to me because it was SO hot and I don't do well walking around in the heat.

On the very last day, I told myself not to expect parking perfection again...then just as I was driving into Kaiser a man walking towards his car pointed to me and then pointed to his car...trying to tell me I could have his space. I was in awe!


10. Okay, this one's kind of weird. Right before the stroke, Dennis finally bought a new recliner. He got it set up in his office but then decided he didn't like it. And then before we could even take it back to Costco, he had the stroke. 

 Turned out it's been nice for me to have a recliner right next to him in his office, just to have a place for me to be when he needs me near by. Another blessing we sure did not see coming. 
So we've decided to keep them both and later put one in our guest room. 

11. We've never used this shower much (at least not with water in it) since we moved in 3 years ago. And we never needed that bench. 
Turns out the bench was a perfect "shower chair" for Dennis. 
Which he no longer needs, btw.



12. Thankful for Facebook. Someone at the hospital suggested Den watch one movie a day...to help his brain focus on the plot, and so we could discuss afterwards. So I put a request on FB asking for movie ideas. And did our friends ever pull through for us!



13. And lastly, but should be at the top of my list...is all the family and friends who have called, texted, and visited, and helped in numerous ways! They are the best medicine of all. 


Den is doing so much better! I'd say he's about 85% there!



6 comments:

McKay said...

I loved this so much! Lots of tender mercies! you two deserve every one!

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you McKenna! I'm not sure we deserve them but we are sure grateful.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing and inspiring that you are able to see the good in every situation. pjc

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the update!so glad Dennis is better!💕

Tyler Heasley said...

Such great blessings! Dennis’s progress has been great to hear about.

Anonymous said...

So happy Den is making amazing progress with your tender loving care and all of God's tender mercies! Thanks for sharing!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...