We are understanding them a little better....

Ever since we moved here, Den and I have prayed that we would get to know our neighbors. 

I may have mentioned this before on here.

We have been here nearly 3 years now and not making much progress.

Or so I thought. 

Last Sunday our air conditioning suddenly went out. It was 107' outside that day and it was heating up quickly in here. I am such a wimp when it comes to being hot. 

I could go all winter with no heat and be fine, but it's hard for me going even one day without A/C. 

I decided to go to our Benchmark FB page...which is just comprised of our neighbors in this little subdivision.  

I explained our problem and asked if anyone had experienced anything similar with their A/C...since all our homes (and A/Cs) are about the same age. 

The response was overwhelming! 

One neighbor after another talked about how their capacitor went out last week or last month, etc. I practically was in tears reading one suggestion after another.

One good neighbor had an extra capacitor and came over and tried to install it, but it was the wrong size. He then said we were welcome to come sleep in their guest room.

Another showed a picture of a extra capacitor he had and asked if that was the right size.

One neighbor seemed concerned we would have to sleep in a hot house that night.

Still, I thought....where did all these people come from? I rarely even see anyone come out of these houses. When they leave, they go from the house to the garage to the car. Reverse when they come home in the evenings. 

Then tonight, a week later, while Den and I were talking about it, I commented to him how except for that one neighbor who came over, we still didn't see anyone last Sunday...even though they were being helpful. 

I thought to myself....does this count for any kind of a relationship?

And then Den said something that sort of woke me up from that thinking. He said, "This younger generation communicates differently."

I had to pause and take that in and then I said, "I guess I need to remind myself that this is not the 1980s or 90s, right?"

He agreed, "This generation would not know how to function back then." 

Perhaps odd, but I felt better. I thought...yes, we are making progress. We are surrounded by people who care. 

We may not be able to see them. 
But we know they are definitely there!


PS We had Donald P Dick come out the next afternoon and install a new capacitor, 
and all was well again. 




No comments:

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...