Some things I didn't know about my Mom


I learned a few things about my Mom last Friday that surprised me!

While I was growing, unfortunately for us, Mom talked very little about herself, but she did often mention her best friend Betty. 

I knew that growing up they would often wear matching clothes, 
but in different colors. 


They actually met in middle school, probably around 1942. They stayed close through Roosevelt High and then through college too. 
 
Mom on left, Betty on right

They still stayed close as young marrieds, but soon Betty had 2 children, and Mom had 8....so just the logistics of that kept them from gathering often. 

But they did meet for lunch occasionally through the years, 
and they went to their school reunions together. 

Since Mom died I have kept touch with Betty a little here and there, and even more so since my Dad died last February. 

Last Friday, Den and I went to see Betty. 

Her husband Marvin built this house in 1958 and they had lived there ever since. (Marvin passed away in 2016.)


Betty will be 90 this year, just as my Mom would be too. 

She had one story after another to tell us about Mom. I thought her stories would be about how quiet and predictable Mom was, just as we knew her to be.


Betty's stories didn't match up with that however. 

For example, while in high school, Betty said she and my Mom hid in a Pepsi truck just so they could get into the football game free. 

I asked, "But why a Pepsi truck?" Betty explained, "Well we knew the Pepsi truck would be at the game..."  

I said at this point, "But my Mom was rather shy. This must have been your idea?"

She said she wasn't sure whose idea it was but they were both always thinking of things like that to do. And Betty looked at me a little funny when I mentioned my Mom being shy.

Betty and Mom were very curious about the big homes on Huntington Blvd. They were trying to figure out a way to see inside some of those homes. So they would go up to each house, ring the bell, and then just stand there looking inside. Then they would say they had the wrong house, and go to the next one. 


Betty said she was only mad at Mom once, and that was on her wedding day. Mom had taken scotch tape and nail polish and sealed all their car doors shut so Betty and Marvin couldn't make their honeymoon get away!

Betty showed me a magazine rack she still uses everyday. 


She said, "Your parents made this for us. And then they taught us how to make one for them!" 

There was this pause as I was trying to absorb what she just said. 

My parents made something?? I must have heard that wrong. Hands down, my Mom especially, did not like doing any crafts of any kind. 

So I said, "Tell me again who made this magazine rack."

"Your parents!"

Another pause.

Then Betty says, "You had one just like it in your home growing up. Didn't you ever see it?" 

(Not that I could recall.) 

This was even more shocking to me than the Pepsi truck story!

So I guess people do grow up and change. 
Amazing what marriage and parenthood can do to a person. 

Before we left that afternoon Betty asked me, 
"Was she a good Mom?"
I said, "Oh yes. Yes she was."
And her reply: "I knew she would be." 



And as a side note...about that day Betty and Marvin got married back in 1949...So they finally were able to break through the glued doors and get into their car and head off to their honeymoon. 

But just 2 hours later their car broke down just south of Bakersfield and they took it to Mettlers to get it fixed. The mechanic there said he wouldn't have the part he needed until morning. So he let them spend the night in a little room above the shop until the next day. 


Not everyone can say they spent their wedding night at the auto repair shop.








5 comments:

McKay said...

I love learning things about your mom!! i wish i had met her!

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you McKenna, She would have LOVED you!!

Richard said...

Sneaking on a Pepsi truck doesn’t sound any more like mom than crafting a magazine rack...maybe Betty had 2 friends😜

Anonymous said...

Does Betty live in Fresno, and where? I would love to visit her sometime! She certainly has interesting stories, but are you sure she is remembering them correctly? Since she is 80 is it possible she is remembering things wrong? Some of those stories sound more like what Susan might do than mom, but of course we only knew her as our mom and not as a teenager.
Heidi

Grandma Honey said...

I know what you mean Heidi. I would be thinking that too. But I have talked to her several times and Den and I are both impressed with all her cognitive abilities. She is very sharp!.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...