Hurray for Aldi!

Yesterday on the way home from the dentist....


I spotted this......

For you locals, it's going in at the corner of Herndon and Fowler.

I was SO happy to see this!

I have friends back east who rave about Aldi. I've heard about it for years but never thought we'd get one here.

I'm passionate about grocery stores anyway. I love them all, even the ones I don't like. When we travel through towns that's what I first look for...a grocery store.

Aldis will be fun to learn and explore. 

So I've been reading up about it and this is what I know so far:
* They pay their employees more than other grocery stores, but hire less.
*You have to pay a quarter to release the bar to get a cart but you get your quarter back when you check out. (this is suppose to cut down on stolen carts)
*90% of their products are their own. I'm excited about this because it means we will get to explore new products. Reminds me of Trader Joes. Which by the way, Albi's is in someway related to Traders.
*They are known for their low prices, and supposedly beat out Walmart.
*You bag your own groceries.
*The store is smaller than other grocery stores (again, similar to Traders.)
*There are bar codes all over their items, not just in one place, making check out faster. 


Albis is going in where the old Fresh and Easy use to be, where we had so many memories! ...Plus they are building on to that. 


I also heard our old Toys R Us will soon be a Hobby Lobby...but I can't find anything to verify, so I'm still holding my breath on that one. 

Update: Den just found this in our Fresno Bee from May 22:


Hobby Lobby is coming to Clovis.
The popular craft and home retailer confirmed Thursday that it has signed a lease to move into the former Toys R Us at 1425 Shaw Ave. near Sunnyside Avenue.
It is planning on an August 2019 opening.
At 45,771 square feet, the store will be a little smaller than the existing Hobby Lobby in Fresno.


Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/living/food-drink/bethany-clough/article230694759.html#storylink=cpy





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be!! We've had Aldi since forever and I just learned something from you. The bit about the multiple bar codes. So I went into my cupboards to find products to check this out and there they were. No wonder checking out is fast. Ingenious. As a cashier, this would make my job so much easier and less frustrating. It seems that when I have trouble getting a product to scan, it is because the bar code is hidden by my hand. I'm glad you will soon get to shop Aldi. Then we can compare what you and I like best. pjc

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...