My Dad's List


Back in 2008, 
I posted here a list of truths my Dad lives by. 

It was written by him in 1976. 

So here it is. 
But this time, at the end I've included the comment 
my Dad left in 2008. 

1. That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has changed, but our ability to accomplish it becomes increased. (quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson from a talk by Heber J. Grant)

2. There is no such thing as a "free lunch"...somebody has to pay for it.

3. Man is that we might have joy.

4. The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.

5. Don't take yourself too seriously.

6. Look for the weakness in other men to be the same as you have in yourself. Then you will have greater love and understanding for them and yourself.

7. The search for material riches is never ending.

8. The greatest accomplishment in my life is my family.

9. It is easy to let lust and greed be your motivating factor in your life (your gods).

10. The people I most admire are those who keep the commandments (the most righteous). They are also the most enjoyable to be around.

11. Honesty is the single most important quality a person should have.

12. Service to others brings the greatest happiness in life.



And here's the comment he left in 2008:

"Jill,
I don't remember this list at all. Thanks for resurrecting it. I don't know that I would change anything except the order they are in.
Dad"



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion #11 would be #1 and #12 would then be #2

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you. And who might you be?

grandmapeg said...

Jill, this is a great list to live by. I especially like #10. Your dad was a very handsome man! Of course I have known that since I first met him :-)

Grandma Honey said...

I wanted to show an earlier picture of what he really looked like.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...