Susan's 80th birthday party, and what I learned

Such a special night when lots of Susan's family came together to wish her a Happy 80th!


Shown above with her sister Corinne and her brother in law. 



Several of Susan's grandchildren attended, 
including her very youngest granddaughter Sophie:
I got so involved talking to her, that I didn't take many pictures.

I told her, "You were just a new born baby when your Grandma Susan married my Dad in '07."

She disagreed, "No, I was a year old when they got married,"

I gently said, "No, you were just a few weeks old. What year were you born?"

Sophie: "I was born in '06."

Me: "Uh, no, you were born in '07."

She tilted her head and rolled her eyes when I said that. You know the look. (But it was adorable on her!)

Sophie: "I was not born in '07. I was born in '06. 
I'm going to go ask my Mom." 

Good, I thought. 

She came right back, and announced to me: 
"My mom said I was born in '07." 

She could have just walked away. But that sweet little girl was so honest and she came right over to tell me she was wrong. 

But you know what also she did for me? 
At my age, I can be the one who has the wrong memory. It just felt good that it can truly happen to anyone. Even a little girl who is 11 and thought she was born in '06. 

I wish Sophie lived closer. I think we would be good friends. 


But wait, before you go, I have a back story.
Here it goes.

Den and I knew there would be many people invited to this grand celebration. We also knew Oakmont's party room is not very large with very limited seating.

Turns out some sat outside in the cold, 
some sat in the library (next door) 
and many stood around the main room. 

It didn't seem to bother anyone that I could tell. 
We were just all so happy to be together. 

However, Den worries alot about this kind of thing. 
He worried about it all week actually.
He is such a gentleman, and continually, and I mean continually worries about others' feelings. 

But....he worried more about this particular party because he hurt his back about a month ago and it can get horribly painful to stand for any length of time. He worried that he should give up his seat to someone else. He always will gladly do this, but then the pain in his back would flare up from having to stand. 

I'm thankful I am not a man.

So finally I told him several days before the party:

"Hey, you know that hair appt I had to cancel last week? Well I really need to make another one and my hair girl is available Friday night at 7:30. So how about we get to the party early, and then when we are finished eating we can give our chairs to someone else, and  leave. I will just tell everyone I have a hair appt. We don't need to tell anyone about your back."

He seemed okay with that. 

It all seemed fine in planning, but it was after I told a few people there, "We have to leave soon because I have a hair appt." 
that I realized how bad it sounded. 

But this was also a good lesson to me:
When someone else says something 
to me that doesn't sound right, don't judge, 
because we really don't know their back story. (no pun intended)


We so enjoyed the time we got to be there Friday night.
We are SO thankful for Susan and her great family.



The food catered by Cafe Rio was perfect!


And I loved most of all how we got to go around that room 
and all say what Susan means to us. 

She deserved all those kind words.
My favorite was from her son Jon.

He said shortly before Susan met my Dad, and after being single for 20 years, she whispered to Jon that she was ready to remarry 

She said that she wanted to find someone she could take care of.

The angels in heaven must have been listening.

I hadn't known that before and it was so sweet to hear. 


And my Dad, after singing his famous birthday song, announced, 
"I can't believe I'm going to bed tonight 
with an 80 year old woman!"

And on that note, I will just say,
Happy Happy Birthday Susan!
You are so loved. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks to be a lovely party in a beautiful setting. I'm glad you were invited and able to attend, even for a little while. Interesting 'back' story. Hope Dennis heals quickly. Can you tell us again how your dad and Susan met? pjc

grandmapeg said...

Susan looks good for 80, and I know from what you've had on your blog that she does take good care of your dad. How did Dennis hurt his back?

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...