Our Monday morning

You would think Den and I would be good at this school morning send off by now....but we aren't so much. 

Like this morning for example.

At 6:45am we put music on....
and Den noisily empties the dishwasher from the night before.



15 minutes later and now it's 7am. 
Music and clanging dishes does not phase them in the least.

"Come on little Chickadees!"


Den announces, "It's a great day in America!" 



I say, "Breakfast is READY. TIME to get UP!" 

7:15 and we're making progress.


"Nope, little darlings...


"It's time to eat!"



So glad we bought this new Black and Decker
grill on Saturday for $24.99.
The one I bought in 1994 died a few months ago 
and I probably paid more for it back then!




They laughed at our 1960s music. 

I told them that was the music we listened to 
when we were their age.

But some things have not changed through the years...

Tea said, "I will show you how this works!"

I said, "Oh but I remember! 
I use to make these too when I was your age!!
Whatever they are called!


But Téa's new lunch bag is something I could not have even dreamed about back in my day...

We put the whole thing in the freezer the night before because the entire bag is lined with internal ice packs! 


As I watched Jonas put the toothpaste on Téa's toothbrush, I said, 
"Oh having a twin is the best!"


and Téa's response?
"Why? Do you have a twin?"

(She gets her sweet air headedness 
from the Rozier side of the family.)




8:15 and I think they are both awake enough now 
to shuffle off to school!



And to think tomorrow they need to be at school 30 minutes earlier 
for Téa's bookclub!

Amy is in Idaho for a week getting Laurynn situated in school and visiting Austin, Brooke and little Levi. Logan comes every night for dinner, unless he's working a double.


11 comments:

Richard said...

Our kids were raised to do a little more for themselves (have Whit share her second day of kindergarten story), except when grandma was in charge. They loved having her take care of them and prepare the rare weekday hot breakfast.

Grandma Honey said...

It's a whole different ballgame being the Grandma versus the Mom. My kids had alarm clocks at a very early age. They usually got their own breakfast. Then they got me up. I'd often hear them saying, "Mom, we CAN"T be late!"

I want to hear Whitney's kindergarten story!

grandmapeg said...

I haven't seen those new lunch boxes, but then I don't have any reason to, but I love it!!! What a great idea! It's surprising what kids can sleep through. I still think that kids have "selective" hearing :-)))

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed all your photos. Such sweet grandchildren to be so cooperative early in the morning. With older siblings, I am sure these two have learned to tune out extra noises and therefore sleep through the clatter. But good effort on your part. I haven't seen one of those lunch containers either. Neat idea. What a tidy home AND garage/car!! Impressive. pjc

Richard said...

When I was in kindergarten mom asked me to get dressed, make and eat breakfast, rub brylcreme in my hair, then wake her to comb it while I knelt at her bedside. Then I would run out front to meet Linda Alsop who walked me to school...she was a head taller and 2-3 years older. It was exactly one mile to Burroughs Elementary. All my classmates walked to school. I don’t remember ever seeing a parent drive a kid to school until we moved to the ‘burbs in 1960 and then it was rare!

When kindergarten was over at 11:30 I walked myself home...mom was home with you and baby John. Dad had the car at work. At some point our parents got a second car. I remember several trips during the day to the dentist, doctor, and carpooling to Primary with Sherman Drebing.

Grandma Honey said...

Funny you should mention about your walk to Burroughs because I was just thinking yesterday that I wish I knew our route back then. I'd like to drive it and see if anything comes back to me. (too scary to get out of the car) We left the end of my 1st grade....since you were nearly a 4th grader when we moved, do you remember which streets you took?

Richard said...

We took varied routes, the most common being Barton south to Illinois east to Sierra Vista south. We often took Nevada or Washington instead of Illinois. There were railroad tracks along the McKenzie easement between Washington and Nevada Aves and we often took that route too. I did this for 4 years so I knew every house along the way

At one particular house in about the 4700 block of Illinois two friendly ladies offered me a little present one day. I told them I couldn’t accept gifts from strangers. A couple of days later they said, “Dicky, there’s something stuck up in our tree. Would you help us get it down?” (I must have slipped up and disclosed my name to them at some point, I wasn’t supposed to talk to strangers either.) “Of course,” I said. One of the ladies lifted me up so I could reach a small bag on the lowest branch. Inside was a cap gun. The ladies insisted they had no idea who the rightful owner might be and convinced me to keep it...part of the reasoning I recall behind the decision was something about finders keepers, losers weepers. I happily went home, loaded the gun, and loved the smell of the discharged gun powder in the little caps. I was in first grade, I believe, when this happened. My friend, Mikey Velasquez, the only Mexican boy at Burroughs then, later showed me I didn’t need the gun to fire the caps. Just a hammer and some drive way concrete.

Later, when we moved to Fairmont, our walking commute was very similar. We went a half mile east and a half mile south, although there were far more empty lots/fields along the way...

Grandma Honey said...

So THAT'S where you got that cap gun that you tormented me with. I can still remember those sparks flying and the smell of smoke. I actually remember thinking back then, "I NEVER want to have any sons! Only girls for me."

Richard said...

Do you remember our half hour deals? Our weeknight bedtime was 7:30 pm. We offered to go to bed at 7 on Thursdays if we were allowed to stay up until 8 on Wed and watch our favorite show, Dennis the Menace with Jay North.

Grandma Honey said...

I do remember our half hour deals! I knew it was for some show, but I didn't know it was Dennis the Menace.

Did you know that years later, after we were all grown up, Mom told me at times she would change the clocks and make them a 1/2 hour later so she could put us to bed earlier? Apparently we never noticed that missing 1/2 hour!

Richard said...

I’m shocked. I can’t imagine she wanted us in bed earlier. It must have been your insistence on hearing all about her day that got tiresome.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...