It's part of me more than I like to admit

So earlier this month at bookclub. I belong to 3 of them you know. This one was at my friend Kristi’s house. We had a great group that evening of 6 women. 

We somehow got on the subject of millennials which brought someone to ask, “So what is this next generation going to be called, after the millennials?" 

Can’t remember who said it but the answer was, “It will be known as “I Gen.” No one got it till she said, “I Gen... as in the iPhone generation." Okay, we all got that! 

That brought us into a discussion about phones and how they are everywhere. 

We reminisced how nice it was back in the day when we could take our kids grocery shopping and could use that time to converse with our toddlers. Not so anymore. Many (most?) moms are on the phone while shopping, even if her kids are in tow. 

I think we were all at some point during this discussion, rolling our eyes and shaking our heads in disgust how phones have taken over. 

And just at the exact moment when one of the ladies said, “People are on their phones everywhere!” ….my phone rang! I had to take it since it was Den and he was shopping for me at Costco. 

“Hello,” I said in the receiver as I turned to the ladies and said, “I have to take this one.” I think about all Den could hear when I answered was the laughter. But still it was embarrassing. 

Den thought we were just having a lively good time so he got right to the point and asked me what kind of salmon I wanted. Then I was able to wrap it up quickly and get back to the discussion about annoying iPhones. 

Later that night when I got home I explained to Den about his precise timing in calling me from Costco. It was all worth it though to get the right salmon, and not the seasoned one. 

My Mom use to have this saying, something about the pot calling the kettle black. I think I qualified that night. 

It was just odd since I don't normally wear my phone. It pretty much stays in one place in my house. And sometimes a whole day will go by and I won't notice it's turned off. 

Still...I never leave home without it!



3 comments:

Richard said...

You’re one of the lesser phone addicted people I know. That said, your preference for people calling you back on a line you don’t answer is a little peculiar.

Grandma Honey said...

I agree! Haven't quite figured that all out yet with all the scammers calling on our landline. Den often reminds me not to answer the phone unless I'm sure who they are. I guess texting works best. But then I'm not sure they all arrive.

Too many options and none of them are terrific.

Anonymous said...

Very funny post and a great start to my Sunday!! I have to agree with Richard, though......difficult to contact you. ;) I block scammers on my landline. We get maybe one a week. And kinda surprised that Dennis didn't already know which kind of salmon you wanted. Are you sure he didn't just want to hear your sweet voice?! Just my observations. Oh....I like it when you post often. Keep it up. pjc

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...