Animal Day at Grandma Honey's

I decided to label a few days the Grands will be here 
with a theme....

Yesterday was Animal Day. When I told the kids they got all 
excited and nearly jumped up and down. And that was before I 
even explained what that meant.

We started off with a farm fresh breakfast....
The idea was to explain to them the bacon came from a pig, the 
eggs came from a chicken....but I forgot to mention any of that.


So moving right along....



The big excitement of the day was trying on animal 

masks....preparing to all be an animal at dinner hours later.

I found some animal pictures I had had for years. 
So they got to color those...even cousin Téa.



The masks were a big hit 
wearing them on and off throughout the day. 



Even their Dad got ready for the evening!


Farm fresh food for dinner....
corn on the cob, cantelope, turkey burgers. 


Again, I forgot to explain why we chose those foods.
Oh, Grandma Honey.


We ended the Animal Day with little sister playing with the farm 
animals we had hidden and found multiple times earlier in the day. 




With her brothers getting ready for bed 
she finally had the animals all to herself. 
   

I also want to mention something else. 

Years ago my sister Peggy told me about an adventure with kids that she went on
...actually it was decades ago. 
I have thought of it many, many times, including this week. And I'll explain why.

She and her friend Gina, had a bunch of kids to take care of and entertain. Can't remember the details 
of that but this was before Peggy and Gina were married and now they are both Grandmas so it was a 
long time ago. She said they wanted to take these kids on a "picnic" but had no time to get ready for 
that or buy the food, etc. So they just quickly made up some PB sandwiches and threw some other 
little food items they had in a bag and off they all went for their "picnic." She came back and said the 
kids were so excited and they all had the best time...with like 5 minutes prep time. 

So often, before her story, I would think I didn't have the time or the energy or money 
to do many adventures with my kids. 

But since that story I realized that just 
labeling an experience and working with what you have
is all it really takes for a grand time. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Labeling days is very exciting for kids. We have Fairy Day, Princess Day, May Day, Apple Day, Valentine's Day, Ice Skating Day and others. Moms tell me that their kids cannot stop talking about it for weeks after they receive an invitation. I can imagine so many more "Days": Beach Day, Lake Day, Picnic Day, Bike Trip Day... When I just get myself to DO these things, it's so very grand. Even very simple activities. Life is good, isn't it?

darlene

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun you all have!! And everyone gets into the spirit, even the grownups. (I see Dennis with his mask, too) Kudos for setting good examples. I'm looking forward to what the next themes will be. pjc

Richard said...

You probably got as close to animal uses as you needed to in order to have a good time...no need to go full farm mode and discuss how the turkey found his way into your burgers.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...