A "soothing mom"

Listening to one of President Nelson's talks last night, from 
1987....he said something about his wife (mother of their 10 
children) that reminded me of my own mother: 

"I’m glad Sister Nelson has not tried to be a 
“supermom.” But she has been a “soothing” mom. This 
she has done simply by being herself.
When priorities are in place, one can more patiently 
tolerate unfinished business."
Then President Nelson went on to quote a line from the 
hymn, Improve the Shining Moments:
“Time flies on wings of lightning; We cannot call it back” 

Dennis and I have been watching one talk by President 
Nelson most every evening while we eat dinner. It has been 
so fun getting to know him better, and learning from him. 
There are 75 of them, and a website now that has all the 
links in order. 

The first talk start on April 1, 1984 when he was first ordained 
an apostle. McKay was just 3 weeks old and I was in the 
hospital with him that weekend. With each of his talks, I like 
following along and compare what I was doing at that time in 
my life.

I keep thinking how President Nelson said, "When priorities 
are in place, one can more patiently tolerate unfinished 
business." 

That kind of explains my childhood. 



4 comments:

Nate and Julie said...

I love that! Thank you for sharing! I have been listening to his talks lately too except I'm working my way back in time so it may be awhile before I get to that one.

Richard said...

One of my peers grew up in the Nelsons neighborhood and Ward. She said the Nelson house was messy and chaotic with all those kids, but full of goodness.

Grandma Honey said...

Sounds like our house growing up, Richard. I guess that's the "unfinished business" President Nelson was talking about. Mom always had her priorities straight, too.

Anonymous said...

So interesting that you are doing this and that there is even a link to listen to all his old talks! I've been doing the same thing, but didn't know about the link. I think his recent talks have been some of his best, but I also really enjoy all of his older ones. When he mentioned in one of his older talks that his wife was working 2 jobs, teaching and working in a bookstore while he was in medical school and both of them were selling their blood on the side for money I thought that was a little amazing (hard to comprehend) and then she went on to have 10 kids! Maybe she is getting her needed rest now. And he's 93 and still skiing!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...