Jill T

There was this girl in high school and I can't even remember her 
name now, but in her yearbook I remember writing to her,  "You 
are the most excitable person I know!" 

But that was years before I met Jill Thompson. She even beat out 
my friend in high school, for being the most excitable and 
exuberant person I ever knew. 

Jill T and I were not best friends by any means, but we were close 
in that I was completely relaxed around her and we could talk and 
talk. But then, I think most people who knew Jill T felt this way. 

She just had that golden something. That smile. Those continual 
inquisitive eyes. She loved people. She had an insatiable interest in 
everyone it seemed. She wanted to know what they were all doing, 
and who they were doing it with. 

I have many memories of her, but this one sums up her personality 
pretty well I think...

It was about 2009. She dropped by the house one afternoon to give 
me something. Can't remember what it was but we were both 
counselors in our Young Women's organization in our ward, so it 
probably had something to do with that. 

She gave it to me, and then while she was still standing on the 
porch I said, "We were just having lunch. Would you like to join 
us?"

Most people would have said, "Oh no, that's okay. I've gotta get 
going." That's what I would've said.

But not Jill T. Without even a pause she said, 
"Well I AM hungry!" 

She walked right in, sat down at the table and right away asked for 
the mayo. And then the chips. 

She had never met Den's mom who was visiting us at the time, but 
made no difference to her. Made herself right at home. 


She could make me laugh, just by being herself. 

She called me Jilly, so I called her Jilly. 

She was so full of life that even at her funeral yesterday I kept 
expecting to see her. To hear her voice. 

A few more memories...

 Jill T's mom, and my Dad and Susan were both living at the same 
facility for awhile. Jill T's mom broke her foot so for awhile Jill 
was living there with her to help out. 

So one day I saw Jill T there and asked how she liked it. She said 
right back to me, "It's like living on a dang cruise ship!" 



Mark and Jill T at my niece Natalie's wedding in Pismo. 


I want to save this last text message I got from her. Just because it's 
from her. A month and 1 day later, she was gone.

It brings us all peace to know she is indeed all better now. 




2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Sorry to hear that such an exuberant life is over, but she sounds like a neat person

My mom is failing rapidly, and it's sad to think of losing her. I just got home from visiting and do not think she will be with us too much longer. She is also starting in with dementia, which is sad to see. We are grateful, though, to have had her mind intact and with us for 90 years. I know we can't complain, but how we will miss her when she goes!

Amanda said...

What fun memories and pictures of Jill. She really was a fun and happy person. Am saddened by her loss but grateful she is no longer suffering and that we know where she is. Thank you for sharing her funeral info with me. I would have loved to be there. ps - I think I am signed in under Amanda. oops.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...