One of my favorite bedtime snacks

My mom use to make me rice with brown sugar, butter on top and then she'd pour milk over it all.
She liked it for breakfast, I liked it better for a bedtime snack.

I make it now for myself, but with brown rice since it's loaded of B vitamins and fiber, that are
stripped from the white rice. And I think brown rice tastes SO good! And feels a bit hearty.

Normally I just make it with the rice, brown sugar and a little olive oil, plus some kind milk. 
But last night we had an extra kiwi so I threw that in along with some raisins and walnuts. 

I like to make a batch of brown rice and then freeze it in serving quantities 
so I can just pull it out when we want it.

I recently learned how to make the brown rice in my crockpot. I add extra water so it will be creamy, 
but if I were using the rice for dinner, I wouldn't want it to be mushy like this. 
But with brown sugar and milk, it's perfect!



And just this week I heard on a radio program that we sleep better and longer if we eat good fiber 
before bedtime. I don't know about that, but I know this tastes good.

For the creamy brown rice in a small crockpot:
(like the one above my sister gave me for my birthday that is just 2 1/2 qts)

4 c water
1 c brown rice (not instant)
1/2 t salt
1 T butter

Cook on high for 4 hours, stirring it 30 minutes before done.
Then turn the heat off and let it set for 30 more minutes. 

Or if you get too hungry like I was last night....just eat it at the 3 1/2 hour mark. 
I put this all in the crockpot at 5 while I was making dinner, and it was ready to eat at 8:30. 

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...