"...then you simply get to be happy more often."

(I know McKay looks very stressed here at 3 weeks old….but this taken in 1984, about 30 minutes 
before I learned at a routine dr visit, that his heart was racing near 350 beats per minute….)

However, today I'm focusing on the sweater he was wearing...




Do you want to know the real reason I love that little sweater 
so much and STILL have it all these 31 years later?

Because someone gave it to me while she was suffering. 

Vicky, the sister of a good high school friend of mine, was pregnant 
with twins at the same time I was expecting McKay. 

About half way through her pregnancy (can't remember the exact timing) one 
of her twin boys died. She was in the hospital trying to save the 
remainder twin, but he was born too early, 
and tragically they lost him also.

A few months later I gave birth to McKay, and Vicky mailed this 
sweater to me from southern California. I remember looking at her 
gift in awe….that she could be happy for me, when she had just 
lost the joy I was now experiencing.

I don't think I would have been so thoughtful 
had I been the one grieving.

Her gift taught me a great life lesson. 

I've thought about Vicky and her gift many times throughout the 
years. Her story has become a part of how I want my brain to think. 
It's helped to shape my life and who I strive to be.

So why am I bringing this up now all these years later?

I read a great blog post recently by a Mom who felt such joy 
that her sons were happy for a friend
who got an award they wanted, but didn't get.... 


My favorite line from her post is this:
"If you are happy for other people, 
you simply get to be happy more often."





5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awwww, this is a great post. As you know I am an "Heirloom Restorationist" and I have some questions about that sweater!

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you Rebecca. It's an IZOD, that's about all I know. :)

Anonymous said...

so true!
love that little sweater!
darlene

Karen Mortensen said...

What great stories and wonderful advice. Love this Jill.

grandmapeg said...

What a great story!! Thank you for sharing it. I really needed it today.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...