What is the number one problem in marriage?

My favorite quote from the Marriage Fireside we attended last 
Friday night was this one by Meryl Streep at the Academy 
Awards:

"First I’m going to thank Don because when you thank 
your husband at the end of the speech they play him out 
with the music and I want him to know that everything I 
value most in our lives, you’ve given me."

The fireside speaker then said, "So what kind of a husband 
do you think he was after that??"

Married 38 years when she said the above.

The night before, we got to also attend a book signing by the 
same man, Michael Parsons, who did the marriage fireside.


Something about this picture…I look like a witch from some play I saw once.

(See Linda Jaeckel on the far right, front row? She use to be my church Primary teacher when I was 5!)
Some of my fellow book club members plus the author in the back row with his wife. 
(many could not make it, and this is the one and only time Dennis attended….he's not a regular)

Back to the speaker/author….
He believes the number one problem in marriages is pride.
What a beast it can be. 

His fictional book was about how pride 
completely ruined forever a marriage of two good people. 

Here's another quote he gave, this one by Mark Twain:
"Temper is what gets most of us in trouble.
Pride is what keeps us there." 

I think this would apply to any relationship. 


Lots of quotes that night, but here's another favorite. This time by, was Samuel Johnson:


"To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all 
ambition, the end to which every enterprise and labor 
tends…"

Who could not agree with that?


7 comments:

Rebecca said...

This looks like a good book.
I think I will read it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Jill. Tell me about this book. Do you recommend it? It sounds sad. Like the book on your book list, The Walk. I started to read it, but could not finish. Too sad for me. What's your opinion?
Love that you have Marriage Firesides!
darlene

grandmapeg said...

I so agree with what was said on this post of yours. I really like the Mark Twain quote. Pride comes before the fall...of most things. And your expression in the picture does make me wonder what you were thinking about :-))

cristie said...

Thank you for reviewing your notes. It is true that appreciation extended to those we love only makes our own hearts happy. After all, we remember just how blessed we are. xox

Grandma Honey said...

so Darlene, if you didn't like The Walk, you may not like this one either. This has lot of sadness and frustration. But that is how I learn I guess.

Scrapally said...

The walk starts out sad, but his adventure in dealing with his grief is what makes it such a great book! (just my opinion). This book sounds like a good read too and how I love seeing the picture of my fun reading friends! Wish more of them could have been there so I could "see" them. fun to meet an author! Love all the quotes!!

Susan Anderson said...

I so agree about pride. No place for it in a happy marriage.

And you make a very CUTE witch.

;)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...