The easiest bread you'll ever make

No kneading. Hardly any stirring.
Just mix, rise, plop on cookie sheet, rise again, and bake.
And like Dennis says, "This tastes like a treat."

McKenna calls this Peasant Bread. We call it McKenna's bread, because we learned it from her.
We couldn't get enough of it when we were visiting, so I decided I better make some at home. 

Ingredients:
2 c warm water
2 1/4 t yeast
2 t salt
2 T sugar
4 c flour
olive oil or butter for brushing


Okay, so combine the yeast, salt, sugar. 
Then add flour and stir with a wooden spoon (which I didn't have)

 Cover it with a dishcloth.
 It doesn't matter how ugly or faded the dish towel is.
(Would you believe this one use to be red?)
Ignore it like this for 1 hour.

 After the hour passes,  flour your hands and pull the batter into 2 lumps
and plop on cookie sheet that has been greased and generously dusted with cornmeal.
Cover again and leave it alone for another 30 minutes.


 Then, Brush with olive oil. 
Then McKenna says this is the important part:
Bake 425' for 10 min. Then take out and brush with butter. 
Turn down oven to 375' and bake for another 15 min or until golden brown.

Try it, and come back and let me know how much you love it.

8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

I guess my record of never having made a loaf of bread will change. This I can do.

Susan Anderson said...

That bread looks like some one of our favorite restaurants serves. I never have much luck with yeast breads, but maybe I'll have to try it!

=)

Eileen said...

LOVE IT!
And it looks so delicious too!

I don't have time this weekend, we have lots of visiting and chores, but I will definitely be trying this during the week ~ next weekend at the latest, and I will let you know how it goes over.

Thank you!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Susan said...

Thanks for this recipe. I wanted it after we had it the other night! Will let you know. Susan

Darlene said...

Thanks for this recipe. It really sounds good and I will definitely make it next week and will let you know how we like it.

I hope Sue will try it too. She is definitely not a bread baker and I have never been able to get her to try my oatmeal bread which is her absolute favorite. It is also very easy.

Scrapally said...

I can't wait to try McKenna's bread! Looks great...and EASY. :) Thanks for sharing!

lindsay lark said...

I made this bread tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Grandma Honey said...

Yay Lindsay!!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...