Green Smoothie Girl

Yep, this is why we went to Bakersfield last week...to watch the Green Smoothie Girl in action. I had been following her blog for a few years and when I read she would be in California, only 2 hours away, I couldn't resist. 

Plus Kim and Kris attended her presentation in Utah a few months back and they loved it.


Robyn Openshaw aka The Green Smoothie Girl, claims that drinking a large glass of raw vegetables and fruit can have MASSIVE affects on your health. She drinks one quart a day and gives a pint to each of her 4 children. Since the years doing this, they have had no strep throat, no infections, needed no antibiotics.


Her story that lead her to this way of life is very interesting, and well worth reading.


What I like about her too, is she does not talk about changing all your eating habits. She just focuses on the Green Smoothie, claiming if that is all you do, you will be getting 12-15 servings of fruits and vegetable a day "going into every cell in your body."

I also learned that Mitt Romney is her cousin. Not that it matters, just interesting. Also that she was a professor at BYU for 7 years.


Den and I were the first ones there so we got the best seats. 
Many more came after this picture...it got down to standing room only.
I think he's watching the game on his iPhone....but at least he was there!

GSGirl trying to get this coach to chew all the greens that would go in a green smoothie. 
Showing it is HARD to eat it that way, 
PLUS one does not get all the nutrients by chewing...
making the greens into a liquid our bodies absorb MUCH better.
A few of the coach's student athletes came up to help her out.


Here's a little demo of HOW to make a Green Smoothie, if you are interested.
But don't forget to read her story!



Can I just add here that Dennis likes these now.
He has watched me drink a version of these for months,
but since the GSGirl lecture, he's on board with me, giving them a daily try. We'll see.

Here's the text between Dennis and Kim while we were waiting for the GSGirl to start:

Dennis:
We are getting ready for the Green Smoothie Girl's presentation in Bakersfield. Boy are we excited! 
 
Kim's text back: 
Seriously? You will love love love her presentation!!
I wonder if she'd remember meeting us I have her course - 12 steps to whole foods and love it
I think Jill is going to love that - how cool for both of you
In what city and what would she know you by?
Kris and I went to her presentation at the zermatt in Heber. We met her and she loved that we were twins so we took a picture together - we got talking about our businesses too which she was intrigued by
 
(I wanted to quote Kim...so you wouldn't think this is just something old people are interested in.)  

15 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

My friend was just telling me about this last week. She is having one for breakfast every morning.

=)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Hey, you were in Bakersfield? What's up with that...not even a phone call?
Now, don't go feeling guilty, I forgive you. :} Where was this presentation given? Sounds interesting to me.

Grandma Honey said...

Kathy~ We thought about coming to see you but I knew you were working. I haven't given up on coming on a Sunday (is that still your day off?) so we can get together with Kristine to go through pictures! Still would LOVE to do that!

It was at Lassen's Health Food Store, right across from the Residence Inn.

Anonymous said...

I started having green smoothies every day last summer and loved it. I got away from it in the cold weather, but you just reminded me to get on it again. Summer's comin'! I have books by Victoria Boutenko like THE GREEN SMOOTHIE REVOLUTION, and they are inspiring with recipes and such. How much to you drink a day, Jill? A quart?
Darlene

cristie said...

we've been drinking these daily for the past eight years! i am a believer for sure. thanks for sharing the links. xox

Grandma Honey said...

Darlene~ Not a quart. I just drink about 16 oz a day. Now I am trying to concentrate more on the darker greens like kale and spinach and chard. Before, I was mainly using salad greens, etc. My favorite now is:
2 handfuls of spinach, 2 kale leaves, strawberries, blueberries, rasp berries, protein powder, chia seeds, pistachio nuts, 1 T flax seed, and rice milk., 3 ice cubes, and some water. I crave it!

Grandma Honey said...

cristie~ 8 years? I'm impressed!

Rebecca said...

haha this is funny because......I am going to her class THURSDAY!!! I have been very excited about this!

Karen Mortensen said...

We have fruit ones with a carrot in it. Someone told Tom about putting some spinach in it. So we will be doing that soon.

donnam said...

Thanks for sharing this!!! I will be looking her story up ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Just remember to rotate your greens. Use different greens every day, according to my sources.
Darlene

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Jill, I hope you know I was teasing you, but I am off on Saturdays and Sundays and Lassens is a three minute drive from my house...just for future reference.

Grandma Honey said...

Kathy~ I know you were kidding, but I loved it just the same. We talked about coming to see you, but we arrived Thurs afternoon, the GSGirl was at 6 and we didn't get back to our hotel till near 10. Then Fri morning we left right after breakfast. So it wouldn't have coincided too well with your work schedule. But seriously we do want to come back so you and I can go see Kristine. I know with all 3 of our crazy busy lives it might be hard to coordinate, but it would be so worth it! I'm free any weekend after June 20th. We don't mind at all driving there, and besides, I'm anxious to try Hampton Inn again to see if we can get it right this time.

Eileen said...

I tried this and I like it very much, I've also been meaning to tell you that I've tried your Banana recipe too and I really love it!
My only problem with the Green Smoothies is that right now I'm counting calories and Green Smoothies have lots of calories! Especially when you add the Flax oil. But they are delicious!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Lisa said...

You certainly have my attention on this post! Love those twins & you two "oldies" LOL

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...