Our Dinners for January

Have you ever thought of keeping track 
of what you eat for dinner every night?

Maybe there are dinners you discovered and love, 
but then forget all about them?

I decided to see if I could do this for the entire month of January. 

Not sure I can keep this up all year, 
but I'm going to try.

So here it goes: (or there it went)

Mon, Jan 1: Celebrated the New Year @ Sequoia Sandwich Shop. I had the greek salad and Den had
the Cobb Potato

Tues, Jan 2:  Trader Joes GF chicken nuggets, broccoli, black eyed peas, grapefruit

Wed, Jan 3: My turkey/vegetable soup (spinach, potato, carrots, celery, 1/2 lb ground turkey, 32 oz
chicken broth, 1 T parsley, 1 t oregano, 1 t salt and other seasonings...I make it different every time
depending on what I have) tortillas with cheese-less cheese, grapefruit

Thurs, Jan 4: Baked Cod with Lemon Butter, steamed broccoli/carrots, baked white sweet potato,
grapefruit

Fri, Jan 5: Leftover turkey/vegetable soup, tortilla with cheese-less cheese, grapefruit

Sat, Jan 6: Dennis had some of the lasagna, salad and french bread I made for another family. I just
had a big salad with 2 different kinds of beans.

Sun, Jan 7: Crockpot Apricot Chicken, brown rice, broccoli, grapefruit

Mon, Jan 8: turkey patties (ground turkey, egg, oatmeal, onion, seasoning, a little milk...I make them
different every time), peas, baked yukons, grapefruit

Tues, Jan 9: Out to Sequoia Sandwich greek salad and also eggplant and peppers, Den had the Cobb
potato

Wed, Jan 10: chicken stew with carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, etc but it wasn't very good, steamed
arugula, grapefruit

Thurs, Jan 11: Mahi Mahi fish patties from Traders, white sweet potatoes, medley of carrots, red
onions and chinese cabbage with salt and nutritional yeast, grapefruit

Fri, Jan 12: Anna's baked chicken, broccoli carrots, pilaf. Had a salad and some corn but forgot to
serve them! Our guests must have starved. Choc chip cookies for dessert.

Sat, Jan 13: Red Robin with Kim and Emily who were visiting

Sun, Jan 14: Turkey patties, brown rice, peas, salad, grapefruit

Mon, Jan 15: Baked white sweet potatoes that we filled with: black beans, leftover peas, sautéed red
onions, avocado, leftover chicken pieces. LOVED this made up dinner. Green salad and grapefruit

Tues, Jan 16: GF Cod fillets, asparagus/carrot stir fry, grapefruit

Wed, Jan 17: complicated to explain. Den had some of the ham, mac and cheese, corn, and
Mediterranean tossed salad, and choc chip cookies I made for another family. I had a salmon patty,
brown rice, and lots of asparagus and carrots from yesterday.

Thurs, Jan 18: I made the same dinner as last night for a family with a new baby, and Den again, had
some of that plus some lentil soup I made. I just felt like having some yogurt, raisins, brown rice, and
raspberries. Then at 11pm I was hungry again so I had an apple and some leftover chicken with a
little mayo.

Fri, Jan 19: Cafe Rio with friends

Sat, Jan 20: ??? (I forgot to write it down! I know I was home all day so it was probably something
very simple.)

Sun, Jan 21: Crockpot Apricot Chicken, brown rice, butternut squash, broccoli, grapefruit

Mon, Jan 22: Out to Sequoia Sandwich for Greek Salad and Den had a Cobb Potato
I was still hungry when we got home so I made up this recipe: 4-5 crimini mushrooms, 1 shallot cut
up, stalk celery, sautéed in olive oil and Braggs seasoning and salt mixed with 3 oz pkg of Wild
Salmon I got at Walmart for 99cents.

Tues, Jan 23: Turkey/Vegetable soup this time made with chicken broth, ground turkey, broccoli, 2
cut up leaves of bok choy, corn, shallots, carrots, celery, parsley, salt and oregano. GF bread and
grapefruit

Wed, Jan 24: left overs from last night...the soup and more grapefruit. Den had GF toast with his and
I had yogurt

Thurs, Jan 25: Baked Cod with Lemon Butter, baked white sweet potatoes, asparagus with shallots
and mushrooms, grapefruit

Fri, Jan 26: Celebrated Den's 69th birthday at Yosemite Falls, his favorite restaurant. I guess I can
handle it once a year. I had fish tacos with extra cabbage, refried beans, and green beans.
He had his usual breakfast: country potatoes, 2 eggs, 3 sausage patties.

Sat, Jan 27:  Out to Togo's Mediterranean Restaurant. We both had chicken kabobs and salad. I was
not a fan of the chicken so I took it home and gave it to Den for lunch the next day in his sandwich.

Sun, Jan 28: Crockpot Layered Hamburger Casserole, broccoli, green salad, grapefruit

Mon, Jan 29: Taco salad with lettuce, refried beans, avocado, cheese, olives, cabbage red onions, and
tortilla chips. Grilled cauliflower from Trader Joes, grapefruit

Tues, Jan 30: Lentil Soup (made with water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and red potatoes and
seasoning) GF pizza I made from Trader Joes Cauliflower Pizza dough (topped with Ragu pizza
sauce, onions, chicken, turkey, green pepper, cheese), carrot sticks, grapefruit

Wed, Jan 31: Turkey/Vegetable soup (this time I made it with chicken broth, ground turkey, red
potato, kale, spinach, carrots, spring onions garlic, parsley, corn) grapefruit


I was surprised we ate out 7 times in January. 
I would have guessed about 3-4. 

Onward and upward to February next 
(after we eat all the food of course) 
and then I will report back.




10 comments:

McKenna Heasley said...

I LOVED reading this! Very interesting to hear what you guys eat! I have a column on my calendar with what dinner will be since I plan a week’s worth of meals at a time so I guess I have an unofficial record. :)

Grandma Honey said...

I wish I could be more like you McKenna and plan in advance like that. I've read over and over that is the best way to do meals. But I can only record what we had after we have eaten it. Thank you so much for your encouragement in posting my month of meals. I wasn't sure anyone was going to read this but me :)

McKenna Heasley said...

I loved it! And it gave me some really good ideas for meals to make!

Richard said...

I loved reading it too! I'm ready to eat healthier, except I'm already eating a healthier breakfast than Dennis.

Grandma Honey said...

Wow, I'm impressed Richard. You really did read it!

grandmapeg said...

Wow! I am impressed in many ways with you keeping track of your meals. I would have to write it down right after I finished eating or I would forget by the next day. It all sounds delicious! Happy belated birthday to Dennis!

Anonymous said...

Cool to see what you eat each night. You sure like that grapefruit!
Heidi

Grandma Honey said...

Yes we do! We have it every night until it's no longer in season...until about late spring through summer.

Anonymous said...

I used to do the same as McKenna when the children were little. It also helped me keep track so we had variety.
Many of the foods you listed I have not heard of. Isn't that interesting!? I guess we are more of a plain 'meat and potato' kinda family. I would like to try new foods.....but only if someone else prepared it. :)

krheasley said...

I think next time we visit, we'll have to try that Sequoia Sandwich shop!

I'm sure you've posted it somewhere else before, but where (or what) is the recipe for your lentil soup? I've been looking for a new soup recipe to make. (I'm a little tired of the ones I usually make. So I haven't been making soup lately, and I miss having them!)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...