15 things I learned at church last week

Here's what I learned, or re-learned, at church last week. 
Most of these aren't exact quotes because I can’t write that 
fast, but they should be pretty close:
  1. From the opening song, Improve the Shining Moments:
    “…Promptings bringeth softly blessings rich and pure.” 
  2. “We cannot be grateful and envious at the same time.”
  3. “Instead of scrolling, look around and notice who needs a hug or to be noticed or needs
    help.
  4. “We are all given only so much time in this life. We need to cut down on distractions so
    we can better serve the Lord by better serving the people around us.” 
  5. A suggestion was made during the first talk in Sacrament meeting…."if you are say,
    searching for a recipe on the internet, set the timer for 5 minutes. If you have not found
    it when it goes off, set it for another 5 minutes. I guess this keeps one focused on the
    task and will keep us from becoming distracted elsewhere on the net with no real
    purpose."
  6. "We need to remember that 'We’re all just walking each other home.”
  7. “Potential is God’s gift to us. What we do with it, is our gift to Him.” 
  8. “I think we will be surprised when we get to heaven at how familiar our Heavenly
    Father’s face is to us. It won’t be the first time we have seen Him, because of course
    we knew Him well before we came to earth.”
  9. “When we pray to Heavenly Father try to envision Him and look into His face as if we are
    having a conversation with Him, because we are.”
  10. “Heavenly Father knows each of us so well that He knows how to speak to us.” (This one
    in particular I've thought of lots since I heard it. He knows how to get our attention.)
  11. A comment during one of our lessons: “I really believe Satan holds councils and says
    things like “Donna is going to church again today, is there anything we can do about
    that?”
  12. “Heavenly Father knows our limitations, but he helps us always to accomplish our
    purposes.”
  13. “We want our bishop and our stake president to be perfect. We want all our church
    leaders to be perfect. We want Joseph Smith to be perfect. But they aren’t. Heavenly
    Father has always had imperfect people to work with.”
  14. “Following the Savior removes barriers from you, and the help Heavenly Father wants to
    give to you. 
  15. And this last one is a direct quote from President Dieter F. Utchdorf from our last
    General Conference, as it was read in our last meeting of the day:

    “On your journey back to Heavenly Father you will soon realize that this journey 
    isn’t just about focusing on your own life. No, this path inevitably leads you to 
    become a blessing in the lives of God’s other children—your brothers and sisters. 
    And the interesting thing about the journey is that as you serve God, and as you 
    care for and help your fellowmen, you will see great progress in your own life, in 
    ways you could never imagine.”

7 comments:

McKay said...

We had to stay home from church today, Grant and Scarlett both woke up really sick in the middle of the night so I really loved reading this today. It gave me some good things to think about.

Grandma Honey said...

Oh no! It's after 11 your time so I will call you tomorrow instead. I hope they are okay!

grandmapeg said...

I really like all of those things that you wrote down, but I especially like President Utchdorf's quote because it is so true! I need to follow your example and write down notes so I can ponder them before I forget them. Thanks for sharing the things you've learned!

Robin said...

Great thoughts!

I think you meant to say...

For promptness bringeth safety
And blessings rich and pure.

Anonymous said...

We are not able to attend church for a while due to the rampant flu and cold season all around us so like the McK's, I enjoyed reading this post, particularly #6 and #8. Number 11 is sure thought provoking because at times it seems things against us are piled high. Interesting way to present what might be happening; therefore giving us better 'tools' to handle our tough (er) moments. Just because we cannot physically be in church does not mean Satan gets his way. Thank you God for always being with us everywhere. pjc

Grandma Honey said...

Absolutely agree Pam. That comment #11 was just someone's own thoughts at the moment. I think she was trying to make the point that the adversary wants us to fail, and that he has helpers. There are many many good people out there unable to go to church...and it is far more important what we do with our lives than how often we attend. The entire first year of McKay's life I stayed home with him (Dr's orders) and while I was sad about not always being where I wanted to be (taking McKay with me to church), I knew I was where I should be. That was a tremendous year of growth for me. And as a side note, our prayers are heard just as much at home as they are at church.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed to hear your thoughts, especially about when McKay was a baby. I've been feeling guilty staying home from church at the same time knowing it is best for our and the grandbaby's health. pjc

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...