If we see it enough as acceptable...

There was this one idea I heard last week that bothered me.
It was on what I'd always considered a wholesome TV show.

They had an author reviewing his book on how to get the most from hotel stays.
Author segments are my favorite, so I cued in.

He was talking about how some hotels require 24 hour cancellation notice, or they will charge you 
for those missed days. Life happens and sometimes people don't have 24 hours notice. But who
wants to have to pay for a hotel stay that you don't even get to use?

So this author said he had a great solution. Here's what you do, he said. Call the hotel that morning
and tell them, "I won't be able to make it today, but I will need a room a week from now." Then
the next morning, the author says call the hotel and cancel that new reservation.

The hosts and other visiting guests on the show that day cheered him on, thinking this was a great
solution.

For 1/2 a second I thought....great idea. But then just as quick, I paused and said...huh? what??

How I wish someone on that show had the courage to say, "Wait a minute. That's dishonest." 

Fast forward to this morning at our church General Conference.

Joy D Jones, one of this morning's first speakers said, "...in today's world integrity has all but 
disappeared..." 

She also said, "Children are great imitators, so give them something great to imitate...

...Hold your little ones close. So close that they see your daily religious behavior and watch you 
keeping your promises and covenants." 

On a similar note I heard Dr Laura say last week on her radio program, "If we hear a lie enough 
times, we will begin believing it." I think the same can be said for lowering of integrity. If we see it
enough as acceptable,  it will become our norm too.

Life was no doubt tough back in the day, 

but distractions in teaching their children must have been less. 
I don't see a TV or the internet in that picture. 

2 comments:

grandmapeg said...

I loved this talk and it did make me realize how integrity is fading away. We as parents and grandparents really do have an obligation to set the example for our children and grandchildren. Thanks for sharing these clips.

Scrapally said...

Definitely not acceptable. Dishonesty never sits well with me. There are definitely too many distractions today...and I don't see it getting any better.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...