My two Bookclubs 2017

If you have read any of these books 
please let me know what you thought, okay?


Book club #1
First Thursday of every month at Kristi Call's

January 5th
Author: Cameron Wright
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

February 2nd
Author: Kurt Gentry & Gary Powers
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

March 2nd 
Author: Al Caraway
Hostess: 
Location: Kristi’s Home

April 6th
Author: Louisa May Alcott
Hostess: Kristi Call
Location: Kristi’s Home

May 4th
Author: Penelope J. Stokes
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

June 1st 
Book: Pope Joan
Author: Donna Woolfolk Cross
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

July 6th 
Author: Sandra Dallas
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

August 3rd 
Author: Kristen Hannah
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

September 7th
Book: Outliers
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

October 5th 
Author: Ann Howard Creel
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

November 2nd 
Author: Sandra Dallas
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

December 7th 
Book: TBA
Author:
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home

January 4, 2018
Author: Kristin Hannah
Hostess:
Location: Kristi’s Home



Book club #2
3rd Tuesday of every month at Pam Biberston's

  
Jan 17            The Candymakers                                                              
by Wendy Mass

Feb 21           Molokai                                                                                
 by Alan Brennert

Mar 21          Secrets of a Charmed Life                                                 
by Susan Meissner

Apr 18           Thunderstruck                                                                    
by Eric Larson

May 16          The Far Pavilions                                                                
by M M Kaye

Jun 20            The Art of Racing in the Rain                                         
by Garth Stein

Jul 18             For Love and Zion                                                              
by Laurel Mouritsen

Aug 15           The Nightingale                                                                  
by Kristen Hannah

Sept 19          Where Beauty Slept                                                          
by Elizabeth Blackwell

Oct 17           Honolulu                                                                               
by Alan Brennert

Nov 21          Into the Magic Shop                                                         
by James Doty

Dec 19           The Letter to Mary                                                             
by Jason F. Wright



6 comments:

Heidi G. Ballas said...

I read and loved the Nightingale. I started The Art of Racing in the Rain. I had to stop, it hit too close to home and I was too emotional to continue, but the beginning was very good. 

pebble said...

I have read The Nightingale, enjoyed it, it's well written a good historic novel. Fun to read though it is about war and has unpleasant war things as you might expect, still a good book as it shows how that plays out. We also read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, his books all give you lots to think about, we read Blink too, interesting. I read Pope Joan quite a long time ago, but remember thinking it was a good book,but also wondering how it could be a real event in history, that it is supposed to be based on. It is written well, but has parts you might want to turn an extra page or two if I remember right. I thought it was good to think about the history of women and how blessed we are today. -Melinda George

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you both, Heidi and Melinda! Very helpful to know. I've read Outliers but all the rest are unknowns to me. Interesting how you both mentioned Nightingale and that is also the only book on both lists here.

Peggy said...

I finally got around to reading the Orphan Keeper, after we already discussed it at bookclub. It was excellent, well worth my time..I read it in One day!

Grandma Honey said...

I don't know HOW you do that Peggy! With all you have to do, you must read lightening fast.

Scrapally said...

I just saw your book lists. So of COURSE, I HAVE to make my comments!

I read a lot of these books! The ones I LOVED are "More Than a Tattooed Mormon" I follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and I read her blog. She is AMAZING. Her story is AMAZING. I LOVED "Prayers for Sale" that is in my top 10 favorite books list! I also read "Winter Garden" and "Nightingale" by Kristin Hanna. My first time reading her books and I LOVED them both! Winter Garden a little more than Nightingale. I couldn't put it down. I would put Winter Garden in my top 10. What a story! I loved "Secrets of a Charmed Life" though the title is a little strange for what the story was about. I could not put it down. "A Letter to Mary" is super short (more like a picture book) so I was surprised it was on your list, but it's great! Jason Wright wrote it, his daughter portrayed Mary and his wife took the pictures. It's beautiful.

I enjoyed the "Magic of Ordinary Days," but this is one of the few instances where I liked the movie better. It is one of my favorite movies and I watch it again and again. The book was good too, but I just liked the movie version better. That doesn't happen very often. ha.

We read "Pope Joan" in my book club. It was a very interesting read. A little graphic in a couple of places and I wasn't thrilled with the ending. But still very interesting and makes you really wonder if it really happened, or really could happen. "Alice's Tulips" was very good too. I like most of Sandra Dallas' books. Sounds like you have a good year cut out for you!

I just finished Richard Paul Evans' "The Mistletoe Secret." A great little Christmas book as always. Makes me want to visit Midway! ha.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...