What I've been thinking about



I've decided that no matter how wonderful a couple's life is together, 
no matter how great their marriage is, 
having small children is lots of hard work, and sleep deprivation and challenge.


I got to have a front row view into some of it this past month, when first the McKs came for an 
11 day visit, and then Karen and Tyler also came for another 11 day visit.
And I am in awe!

I am in awe over what young parents go through day in and day out, and over again. 
No matter how tired they get.
I had forgotten how truly hard and challenging this season of life was. 
It brought me back to a day when my first two were toddlers. I was sitting on the front porch one
afternoon thinking….this is so hard! The joy like none I had ever known, YES….
but hand in hand came all the work and severe sleep deprivation. 
I know, I keep mentioning sleep deprivation.
 I'd also been reading a book this past month called, “This is How We Grow” by Christine
Hibbert. It's a memoir of loss and motherhood. The author's sister and brother in law die and she
and her husband get custody of their 2 nephews, along with the 4 they already have. It's in detail
the depths of struggle they go through to make this new life of 6 kids work.
Page 302 she writes, 
“…comfort is overrated. If we choose to grow, we choose discomfort. Growth is after all, 
by definition, an uncomfortable stretching to something greater.”

On page 347, this same author shares this quote from an unknown person: 
"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and 
discouraged men who kept on working.


My mother, who raised 8 kids, had written on the inside cover of one of her journals: 
"There is no progression ease to ease." 




I told Karen one day as teething Leo was clinging and reaching for her continually all day long
that my friend Darlene and I have discussed how we both MISS being needed THAT MUCH by
one little person. NEVER since has anyone NEEDED us that much. And never will they again.





To me, this is on the front line of what life is all about. 



And I have no doubt, my grandchildren are all living in GOOD homes.
What peace this brings to me and Grandpa Dennis.

8 comments:

Scrapally said...

Beautifully said. thank you for sharing!

Karen Mortensen said...

Nicely said. Thanks.

Tyler Heasley said...

Wow, reading this makes me miss them FOR you. Another funny thing about parenting (at least for me) is that I miss them when they're asleep. I'm not the one who's with them all day, but I spend enough time with them that I definitely feel overwhelmed by the day's end. And then I miss them.

Grandma Honey said...

Tyler, I have to say, you sound like a parent. I use to feel the same way. After you and your brothers would go to sleep each night I would feel this tremendous RELIEF! Then before I went to bed, I would go from bed to bed and just stare at you all, thinking of all the cute things you said and did that day. By morning I was SO ready to see you again.

Chris and Cortney Walker said...

Shelly, You must have been inspired to write this just for me! I have had a hard week with my kiddos and really needed to hear this. I love when my babies need me but it seems when my life gets crazy, I forget that I need them as much as they need me! Thanks for sharing!
Cortney

Grandma Honey said...

Hi dear Cortney. I sure do miss you!

Chris and Cortney Walker said...

I miss you too!! You are too sweet!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...