The contagious Granola


I don't know what it is about this granola but my family loves 
it. Dennis eats it every single day for breakfast and for a 
bedtime snack.  

And who ever stays with us lately, wants it everyday too. 
Crazy. Like it's contagious or something.

So I make it about once a week.

Here are the ingredients:


Pay no attention that the bottle of canola oil says high heat.
Any canola oil will work for this. Or probably other vegetable oils as well. 

While this recipe is definitely not mine, 
I've had many recipe requests for this so here it is:



Rebecca's Almond Granola:

12 c oatmeal (old fashioned)
2 c brown sugar
2 c coconut
1 t salt
2 c nuts (we like walnuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews)
1 1/2 c canola oil
2/3 c water
3 t almond flavoring

Mix oats and brown sugar in very large bowl. In separate bowl mix coconut, salt, nuts, oil, water, and flavoring. Add coconut mixture to dry ingredients.Stir till oats no longer look dry. Spread on 2 large brim cookie sheets.
Bake 250' for 1 1/2 hours, stirring and switching pans placement in oven every 30 min.

Please note: The pictures below show it made with parchment paper. I discovered this is totally unnecessary so I don't bother with it anymore.


I so LOVE karen's hair, btw.

 The night before's popcorn kept RIch and Leo 

busy while we cooked….
 

….Until….Rich fell back in his chair and landed on the floor. 

Poor baby.



Back to work Karen went, 

dividing the granola over 2 cookie sheets.



We've discovered the parchment paper is unnecessary. 

The last batch I made I didn't use it, and it was just as good. 


Bake for 90 minutes, 

stirring, and changing out pans every 30 minutes.
(in other words the top tray gets switched to the bottom and visa versa)


And there you have it. It makes A LOT.

If you stay with us, 

we'll have some granola waiting for you.




8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

I think I will have to come and stay with you. Looks good.

pebble said...

It's fun to see your recipe! Very similar to mine, except I use vanilla instead of almond flavoring and I add dried fruits. I change mine up often, making almond apricot, or cinnamon apple, raisin walnut or cherry chocolate (add dried sour cherries before heat and mini chocolate chips when done). You just change what you add, but leave the basics the same. Sometimes I play with the oil too, melting butter for part and stuff like that. Your's sounds yummy and healthy.

K Raven Rozier, MA, HHP, MH said...

Coconut oil would add an awesome flavor to this. http://draxe.com/canola-oil-gm/

Susan Anderson said...

Yum! Get my room ready. I'm on my way….

;)

Anonymous said...

Interesting... My granola cooks less than 20 minutes and uses 1 cup oil to 12 cups oats and no water. I think the texture is about the same. I just stir once in the middle of cooking.

Grandma Honey said...

Less than 20 minutes….how can that be? Do you use the quick oats?

Grandma Honey said...

Raven, I did try coconut oil once and I liked it better but Dennis didn't so I went back to the Canola. The coconut oil makes it sweeter which is a good thing becasue then I could cut back on the sugar. There is organic canola oil which I have also used but it's more expensive and harder to find.

Grandma Honey said...

Melinda…I liked reading about your different varieties. When you did the cinnamon apple do you start with fresh cut up apples or dried ones?

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...