Cookies I feed my grandchildren


They love these. And I love making them because they have no white or wheat flour, and over 4 cups of oatmeal along with TWO cups of chopped walnuts. Mostly all good stuff. Gluten Free. But my grandkids don't care about any of those things….only that they taste great. 

Even Amy will come over and ask, "Do you have any more of those gluten friendly cookies left?" 
Not gluten friendly….gluten free! But who cares about that fact but me.
I had sent a bag home with her a few days before but she said Logan ate them all. 

A friend of mine who is celiac and raising 4 celiac children gave this recipe to me. I forgot to ask her if 
she made this recipe herself or where she found it. 
But trust me, it does not taste like any other gluten free cookies I have tried.

I will post the recipe at the end here, but first I want to show you how Violet makes them….


First she stops by Savemart to get some bananas for lunch….nothing to do with the cookies. 


She is one mighty and tiny little girl.



She puts in all the ingredients, and then lets purple pony watch as it whirls around.


Right before she dumps in the chocolate chips she needs to taste one... or six.



It was hard letting go of those chocolate chips but she's tough.


Then comes the hard part….the wait.

She doesn't leave purple pony out. He (or she?) gets to watch too.
Violet is a very nurturing child. She doesn't want to leave anyone out. 
To me this is a perfect example of "do unto others…"


During the waiting-of-the-baking Violet has an idea!
She decides to run continually back and forth saying, "I so asided! I so asided!"

 She stops running long enough to see how the cookies are coming along.

 Oh yes. And even purple pony got tossed aside to eat these cookies!
Baking with a 3 year old to Grandma Honey, is the best fun ever. 
I don't remember it being so fun (the baking with toddlers I mean) when I was a young mom.
Back then I just wanted to get the cookies done and on to the next thing.
Because back then, there were lots and lots of next things, all on top of each other!


Total Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar

Cream these together.

Add in:
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs

Continue to cream together.
Add in:
1 cup whole rolled oats
3 ½ cups ground oat flour 

(you can find oat flour at most grocery stores, or grind it yourself))
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Mix until all ingredients are combined.
Add in:
2 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups chocolate chips or 2 cups heath bar pieces

(I use half choc chips and half butterscotch chips)
Continue to mix until well incorporated. Scoop onto cookie sheet evenly spaced. 
Place in a preheated 325 degree oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. (I bake for 15 min)



I think these cookies would make an excellent after school treat. 
I remember my boys use to come home HUNGRY and they didn't want fluff….they were looking for 
hearty. These would have filled the spot.




12 comments:

Logan and Amy said...

Does this mean there are more gluten friendly, oops, I mean gluten free cookies over there right now?? I might have to stop by tomorrow!! Violet is so cute! I love her saying "I so asided"!
Amy

Karen Mortensen said...

What a fun time for the two of you. I would have liked to see her running back and forth.

Grandma Honey said...

Amy….Yes, I have some waiting in the freezer for you!

Karen…She did keep running. She was just "so asided" she couldn't help it!

Scrapally said...

What a cute helper! It is definitely more fun baking cookies with the grands than I remember it with my own kids. :) Thanks for the recipe, I have already printed it and can't wait to try it! with my little helpers...sadly, my oven doesn't have a window though.

Anonymous said...

So, do you think honey or maple syrup could be substituted for sugar? I need a cookie that's gluten AND sugar-free, unfortunately.
darlene

Grandma Honey said...

You could probably play around with this recipe. I've traded out brown sugar for maple syrup in other recipes but then it makes it more liquid but it still might not be a problem, I don't know. Of course it would take less maple syrup or honey since they are stronger than brown sugar.

Also, the person I got this recipe from said she sometimes lessens the sugar by 1/3 which would appeal to me but I'm not sure my grandkids go for it.

Anonymous said...

Tell you what, Jill. You bake all these other variations of the recipes and send to me for taste-testing!

Pjc

Grandma Honey said...

I would absolutely do that but I forgot to mention that since these cookies have no gluten in them, they dry out quickly so they need to be kept in the freezer. There's no way they would arrive fresh to Michigan. Otherwise I would send you some so you would have a treat after your surgery next week. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh, keeping the cookies frozen should not be a problem coming across the frigid mid-West. And we still have snow in lower Michigan. In fact, I trekked across the back forty this morning and the snow was way over my boot top. So send, or rather BRING, the cookies! LOL

Grandma Honey said...

Okay, I'm going to see if I can figure out how long those cookies would need to stay in our 80' weather before getting to the freezing parts of the US. If it's not too long I will give this a try.

Stephanie Cozzens said...

I will be trying these - yum!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I am going to pass this recipe along to Amanda because Harrison is gluten intolerant and they are always looking for new recipes that everyone in the family can enjoy. I loved all the photos of Violet...you make everyday things look asiding!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...