Kitchen before and after…..and a problem

Finally….
We started November 12th and it was suppose to be a 2 week job.
But it took a little longer than that since we just sort of finished up on Monday!….
except for one problem that we can't figure out how to solve.

First, the "before"...

Okay, enough of those. I took these pictures the night before the tile was all ripped up. 


And, here are the AFTER pictures:



Just taking you for a walk around the kitchen. 
Ignore the hole in the ceiling….I'll get to that problem in a sec.

THANK YOU to Donna Miller for giving me the idea of a two-toned kitchen!
I never would have thought!

Patrick Rea, our Irish painter who we LOVE, used the color Revere Pewter in our kitchen, 
and all through out our FR and entry. 

THANK YOU to both my niece Natalie and Dee Dee Harmon for suggesting the color!
I'll tell you, with me it takes a village!

Patrick also took this hutch home with him for a few days 
and painted it same color as some of our cabinets. 
I got this at a garage sale 23 years ago and it use to look like this:


See the difference?

Patrick also took home my little sideboard...
(I forgot to take a before picture, but I did find this one from last summer…
it's right behind my nieces, Ashley and Carly)




I think Patrick made this look lots better, too.




Okay, so here's the problem…and we don't know what to do about it. This little niche up there held our 
florescent lights all these years. We tore them out and had can lights put in all around it. We could 
cover it up and just make it a flat ceiling, but I'd rather turn it into something decorative. The ceiling is 
already so low, that I would love to have that little bit of heighth.
(and we are definitely removing that frame!) Any suggestions?



If you are looking for a great painter, let me know and I will give you Patrick Rea's phone number.
He was always on time, so happy and pleasant, even worked on Christmas Eve, very respectful or our 
home, and he has a sense of color and style. He's been in America since 1989 from Ireland and he still 
has a beautiful accent. He felt like family by the time he finished 
and we are looking forward to having him back to paint our bedroom next month!


17 comments:

pebble said...

It is a BEAUTIFUL kitchen, it turned out so lovely! The furniture refinishes are great as well! Your choices are fantastic. I'm sure you will make a great choice for your ceiling fixture as well. You should do a blog post about your options, what are you wanting to do? Like choice one, two, three, ha! Thanks for sharing it, I would love to do something similar sometime!

Karen Mortensen said...

Wow. Everything looks great. I love what he did to the furniture.

Richard said...

Wow! Kitchen is fabulous!

Grandmotherfairy said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!! David took the florescent lights out of our kitchen a few years ago and just finished off the recessed area with some crown molding…you are welcome to come by and have a look...

Kim said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! It is all just stunning!! I couldn't wait to see these pictures! I'm so inspired to do this in my own kitchen!! I absolutely love everything about it!

Kim :)

Fisher Family Fun said...

Paint it two toned colors. Will help make the ceiling look higher!
And put in a can light for extra light.

Rebecca said...

looks brand new!

Scrapally said...

Jill, it was worth the wait! It is absolutely beautiful! I love what he did with your furniture pieces too. you will enjoy being in there even more now! Can't wait to see what you do with the ceiling. I have no ideas and am no help. sorry!

grandmapeg said...

WOW!!! Absolutely georgeous kitchen and the furniture is so beautiful! It was well worth the wait to see these pictures!!!

Richard said...

Wendy says paint the ceiling recess and frame white and you will not even notice them...

Susan Anderson said...

I LOVE the two-toned look. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for the ceiling thing, but I'm sure someone will come up with the perfect idea.

=)

K Raven Rozier, MA, HHP, MH said...

Looks fantastic. How about ceiling tiles. They come in tin, copper, white, decorative, plain,...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! I like Raven's idea!..or maybe painting it white or two tones..Ir'll be interesting to see what you end up doing.

You know we are something like 1/4 Irish so it's no wonder he seemed like family.
Heidi

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

I have a great idea...I'll email you some pictures. :)

cristie said...

I'm clapping my hands! BEAUTIFUL! xox

Lisa said...

BEAUTIFUL! I want to see this in person!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I love what you've done with your kitchen. It looks fresh and updated without losing the charm. I love Raven's idea of using tin ceiling tiles where the lights used to be. You can even buy wallpaper that looks like ceiling tiles and then paint it with white paint or silver paint. I love your taste Jill. :)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...