Spending the weekend with some of the best.

What is the point of people growing older and suffering? I've been trying to figure this out all my life. 
I was there @ The Home this weekend taking care of my Dad while Susan was in Utah. 
It's a very pretty place, and I so enjoy talking to the residents. 
And of course I enjoy spending time with my Dad.

But it also has me thinking about aging.

I've always had such great respect for those who came to earth before me.
And especially for this older generation now, 
because these are the people who raised my generation. 

One morning while my Dad was watching the BYU channel I heard a speaker talking about humility 
and how as we get older we become more humble. How can we not? 
Things are taken away from us one by one. Many are in walkers, many have canes or attached to 
oxygen tanks, some are slumped over, and some, like my Dad are in wheel chairs.

But they all smile when I talk to them. I have not met one who is not gracious and kind to me. 
Saturday morning while having "breakfast for one"….(my Dad eats in his apt 2 hours earlier)
My first and second courses.

I suddenly decided I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to visit with these admired people. 
So I found a table with an extra chair and asked if I might join them. 
They welcomed me like I was the best thing ever. I loved that.

They all told me about their "stories"….where they have been, where their children are now. 
I heard stories about a "kleptomaniac" there who stole 7 shirts worth $40. each
from one of the other residents. But not to worry, the police took him away.

After lunch time on Saturday, as my Dad and I were looking out the window,
we noticed a white pick up truck parked in the red zone right in front of his apartment.
We thought maybe it was a worker of some kind. Then we saw a man get out of this truck, bend down
and pick up a man out the gutter! Turns out one of the residents here fell while out walking.
I felt terrible we didn't see it happen to I could have gone to his rescue.
But from our angle we couldn't even see him lying there in that gutter.

Thanks to that stranger! I went out and we were able to get that man in a chair,
and eventually he felt strong enough to walk back inside with some help.
I asked the man how long he had been lying in the gutter and he said several minutes.
And that just so happened to be our coldest day of the year so far!

It can be really crummy getting older.

So then why do the residents there so easily smile?
Why do they seem so happy when their bodies don't work well and many are in daily pain?

(well come back soon, because I think I may have found some answers to those questions.
This post is already too long.
…more on this later)


This shows how my Dad copes when my sisters,
Robin and Heidi come by to visit and all 3 of us get to talking.


These were my breakfast buddies for the past 3 mornings.
I only took part of Brenda (to the left) because she believes pictures "steal the soul" 
and I wouldn't want to do that.


Loved watching the kids choir from Dry Creek Elementary during lunch yesterday.
Right before the kids came in a lady fell down a few of the stairs and hurt her knee, 
so the children had to wait outside until they could help her off the stairway.
See those 2 girls standing in the front to the far left?
I heard one of them say to the other, "When I get old I want to live here!"
And the other girl said, "I wish I were old now."

(Notice that man up there on the balcony?
I met him….that's Robin Rush…he graduated from Roosevelt with my Mom in 1947!
I also went to school with his niece, Charlene Rush)

While we were eating lunch yesterday the best part of the day happened….



Susan returned!
She lights up his world. Welcome Home Susan!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that they have that huge staircase! Who can walk down that but the staff and younger visitors? There must be an elevator?
darlene

Grandma Honey said...

Oh yes, there is definitely an elevator, but some like to use the stairs. The poor lady was begging for ice on her knee but I don't think the staff would give her any. They aren't allowed to treat her since they are not licensed for assisted living. At least that's the way I understand it. I think all they can do is call for help for her.

Scrapally said...

What a lovely post and I can't wait for the "rest of the story" and your insight. I'm glad they are all such happy residents. The place they live must have something to do with their happiness.

Richard said...

Don't mind Brenda. She's a kook.

Richard said...

Where do you put all that food? Robin Rush was the football coach when I was at Hoover. Very well liked. I will look him up next time I'm there to see dad.

Grandma Honey said...

Brenda says it's an Irish tradition. And Coach Rush will love seeing you. He's very friendly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Grandma Honey!
I have been following your blog now for some time. Your family seems so lovely. Your relationships are so strong. I just love reading your blog!
I am a 38 year old Chinese single woman. My family was very strict and I was told not to date until I graduated college and had a good job. I work mainly with females and primarily a home body with the exception of being around family. I have been set up before but it never works out. I am a hopeless romantic. I want to love someone with my whole heart. I just have not found the man of my dreams. A couple years ago I decided it was ok to be single for the rest of my life. Recently I was summoned for jury duty. I served on grand jury duty for 2 days/week for 5 weeks. During this time I met a district attorney who seemed so nice, cute, and fun. This is the first week back at my normal job. I really miss this guy. I think about him often. I thought about sending him a card to express my feelings but end up talking myself out of it. I don't know his relationship status. He did not have a ring on. What would you do Grandma Honey?

Karen Mortensen said...

Loved this post. Can't wait to hear about all your insights. Glad Susan got back safely.

Lisa said...

I LOVED this post! I just wish I could see the pics! I find I can't really see pics very well anymore but glad you had a terrific narrative! YOU GO GIRL!!! : )

Grandma Honey said...

Dear Anonymous,
I don't know anything about this DA you just spent 5 weeks with during jury duty. But if you want to meet a really nice man consider joining a church that has strong family values that would attract a really good man. A good man that will bring you lasting happiness is hard to find, but they ARE out there. Like I always told my boys, Don't settle. And look for CHARACTER above all else. You can do this Anonymous! Keep us posted.

Susan Anderson said...

It does look like a wonderful place, and I'm glad he has such a fine place to be. I cracked up at his headphones.

I think Dave would like a pair of those for when MY sisters visit…

;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the advice Grandma Honey :)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...