3 books that have kept me awake...

....So I really liked all 3 of them.

I so LOVED this one. It's about an 11 year old boy 
who asks a business woman on the streets of New York if she could spare some change. 
At first she walked away from him, but then turned around 
and asked if he would like to go to McDonalds. 
She continued to take him to eat every Monday for years. 
It  also progressed into her making a bag lunch for him to take to school each day.

Such a well written book that flowed along, and was hard to put down. 
This all began in 1986 and now all these years later it's humbling
the influence this one 35 year old woman had on a very poor, hungry, and suffering boy.



I'm happy my friend Kristi mentioned this next one on Facebook awhile back.
I actually read this several months ago but I still think about it.
Lucy wrote this 25 years before her death, so her story only goes up to 1964.
No one even knew she wrote this until after her death in 1989 when her daughter discovered it. 
Lucy lived quite a remarkable life and had several obstacles in her childhood 
and also enormous health issues to over come. 
She writes much about her stormy marriage to Desi Arnaz, long years of yearning for  children, 
and her friendship with Vivian Vance (Ethel), and filming the I Love Lucy show. Interesting!


And this one I read a few months ago was also a page turner.
A great story of love and family.
An inspiring story of missing what one use to have.
I was tired for the few days I was reading this book, too.
It's hard to make myself go to sleep when the story is so good.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Did you ever read Wonder?
darlene

Grandma Honey said...

I ordered it, Darlene, shortly after your post but it still has not arrived. I need to go check Amazon to see what's up with that. I want to read it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I ordered two of the books you reviewed from the library. But, Coming Home was not available. Darn.
darlene

Scrapally said...

They all sound like good reads...I will have to add them to my list. I remember Kristi talking about the Lucy one. I love biographies and autobiographies.

Susan Anderson said...

I will check all of these out, thanks. I especially want to read that last one!

=)

Karen Mortensen said...

Those sound like wonderful books.

Lisa said...

You can bet I'll be picking these up. Thanks for the heads up! PS: ALl the other posts are so great too! How come no one's posting about Cami's Bday ball party. They should call it the annual Birthday Ball! I love Brock & Erin's way with their kids. Can't wait for him to publish that book! Miss you!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...