Happier at Home

I just finished Gretchen Rubin's new book....

Loved it! 
I would say her previous book, The Happiness Project, 
was one of my all time favorite reads ever. This was a close 2nd.

Why did I love it so much? It's all about being happy. About making the most of this life we have. 
As she says, "We're not playing tea party; this is real....
I didn't want to come to the end of my life and wish I'd paid more attention along the way."


Some interesting thoughts she like this one:

She writes about holiday breakfasts.
That section actually made me sad. I kept reading it and thinking,
'Even I could have totally pulled this one off if I had only thought of it!' But I didn't.

About holiday breakfasts she wrote:
"...school-day breakfasts blur and disappear, but little celebrations make some days stand out.
Also, major holidays are a lot of work. For someone like me, it was gratifying to celebrate minor holidays in a very manageable way. I can choose the bigger life, by thinking smaller."

Gretchen explained further:
"...I don't like to shop, and I don't like buying short-lived flowers and plants, and I'm not good at making elaborate arrangements, but even I could handle placemats and a table decoration, and I always love to use food coloring....all green breakfast for St Patrick's Day, or red, white, and blue for 4th of July. I could invent a holiday!"

This book just came out 2 weeks ago, and it's already #2 on the NY Bestseller's List!

3 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like a good book for any wife/mother.

=)

Scrapally said...

i would like to read both of her books. They sound great. thanks for sharing her thoughts and yours!

Karen Mortensen said...

I have been reading the Happiness Project. It is pretty good. This one sounds good too.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...