1951

I've been going through my Mom's things lately 
trying to find a particular picture that I haven't yet come across.
 In the process I found this one.
I never saw my Grandma Slinkard looking this young 
because I wasn't born yet.

Look at my Mom's hands (that's all that is showing of her)
She still had those prominent veins even at age 21. 
And she was wearing a watch....probably a simple gold band like she always did.
And she was talking with her left hand.
She would talk with her left hand while eating with her right.

Look at the Tabasco sauce next to my Dad's plate. (he was taking the picture)
That was a staple by his plate all those years of my childhood and beyond.

Grandpa looked the same always. 
Same age always. Same look on his face.
My parents having dinner on probably a simple evening in 1951 with Mom's parents
And with Mom and Dad's friends, Betty and Marvin.

There is really never a simple day or a simple evening.
Decades later it seems like a masterpiece. 
 

6 comments:

Susan Rozier said...

Your dad LOVES these pictures from the past! You can tell your mom has veins in her hands??? Did you use a magnifying glass or what? Love, Dad and Susan

Anonymous said...

I love those kinds of pictures where people are not posing, but just doing what they naturally do.
darlene

McKay said...

Very cool. I love it.

Grandma Honey said...

Rebecca~ It was Pres Erying's talk in Priesthood session last conference.

Darlene~ I so agree! I also like pictures from the past that aren't on Christmas. Christmas time is great, but I like pictures of everyday routine.

Becky Jane said...

My first glance caught hold of the retro table...how cool it looks! The Tabasco sauce jar looks just like it does now! I guess somethings never change...hehehehe

It's amazing how one simple picture can reveal so much history and so much about people! Love this post!

Mar~ said...

Oh, I love this old photo! They curtains, the table, food, expressions, etc.
Your mother's hands were beautiful. And such tiny wrists!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...