Our floors are done!

Actually they have been in for about 2 weeks, but I keep forgetting to post pictures.
So in case anyone is interested.....

First, the before pictures!
Here are the floors before the water damage...

Well okay, so this is an older picture, but you get the general idea of what it use to look like around here.

Then the floods came.
Well not really, but the leaky dishwasher that caused all this damage....

That caused us to live in a hotel with our visiting family for 5 days.
A unique Christmas breakfast hotel-style.
We decided to go home and cover our floors with old sheets
and bedspreads and just make do,
until I could make a decision on what floor to put in.

Finally, after checking out FIVE flooring places....and several of them many times....we found it! 
But it was more than we wanted to pay. 
So finally on a whim we tried one more carpet place.....
"Quality Carpets" right next to the Olive Garden in Clovis.
The owner Harry gave us the flooring we wanted for $2000. less!! 
He said he would give us a great deal if we would refer people to him. 
So here I am doing that right now.

And here is our finished product...

We left an open area for the grandkids to play, and to entertain us...
you know, sort of like a stage right there in front of the couches.


Don't get too excited my house is clean.
Hopefully it won't stay this way.
As strange as this feels to admit, I prefer it with with toys, and books, and projects, little shoes, 
and dress up clothes, and crumbs left from cookies and PBJ sandwiches, and a few dishes in the sink.
Because that means I am not alone. 
Last week was not my favorite. 
Dennis was gone for 7 whole days. 
And I did spend some time with the little people in my life and their parents, 
but not enough.

I would trade a clean house for happy days anytime!
And I usually do.

17 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

I LOVE your new floors. Everything looks wonderful.

Kris said...

Oh my goodness!!!! The floors turned out absolutely stunning.

Anonymous said...

Your house is just beautiful. It turned out so nice.. I hope you get to enjoy it for a long time.

Natalie said...

Wow, those floors look BEAUTIFUL! I love how everything looks! What an ordeal, but what a reward! Great choice, and happy day on the great discount!

grandmapeg said...

I was wondering if we were ever going to get to see the finished project. Your floors are beautiful!!! Are you happy with them, because that's what counts?

cristie said...

lovely floors...and i love the sunlight streaming into your house.

wish i felt more like you do about little people and a clean house. i hate to be uptight about a mess. xox

Dad and Susan said...

Thanks for the update. Looks like all the "inconvenience" was worth it. We're eager to see them for ourselves. They look beautiful in the blog. You're such a sweet person to like your house "happily messed up." I'm a grandma who goes around with a rag cleaning up after every drip and spill while it is occurring. Need to work on that! Love, Dad and Susan

McKenna Heasley said...

I love it!!! Especially in the kitchen!!!

Anonymous said...

Was your old floor smooth? It looked smooth. This new floor looks like it has a little texture to it. Am I right? If so, do you like that better than smooth? We're trying to make some decisions for our floors.
darlene

Grandma Honey said...

Darlene, I guess the floors have a bit more texture than before...but mostly the difference is in the planks where there is a bevel between them. But a tight bevel so hopefully it won't be a problem. I've also noticed these floors are much quieter than our last ones. I miss hearing Dennis walking into the room.

Cristi and Susan~ Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me because I often like to just look at the mess after they all leave.

Peggy~ YES I think we do like the flooring so far. And I'm so happy to get those dusty concrete floors covered. All those weeks I had to sleep with a vaporizer and sometimes antihistamines.

Darlene said...

Oh my gosh!! The floors are so exquisite!! Sue's is very similar to yours and she AND I both love it. I am so jealous. She did hers some time after we did hers, or I would have done ours like hers. do love the darker color. I thought it would make ours show the dust more if we used a dark color. Believe me, I hate my kitchen floors, and they cost us so much!! They look like wood, but they are tile. They are a light color and the grout gets so dirty from the kitchen. The rest of the house is all done in the same tile and I don't mind it in the other roooms as it doesn't get into the dirt so deeply. I am going to have to get them done proffessionaly this spring.

I also love that you don't care if there is clutter in your house. I, too, am way too particular. I am just too compulsive, I have learned to just relax when my little ones are here, because I love it so when they do come.

Grandmotherfairy said...

Looks beautiful...I have missed your blog...I got a new computer and have been lost ever since:)

Anonymous said...

Jill, what is in the red bowl under the lemons on your table?
I like your two-tone living room/dining room.
darlene

Eileen said...

The floors look beautiful! I like both the old and the new, but something about the new makes it look almost a little rustic and even more 'homey'. And, yet, very elegant looking too. Perfect choice!

Ray and I were just talking about our 'messy' house, and how if we moved we would be able to 'set' something just so and it would stay that way, but then what would we have? A nice HOUSE but not a very nice HOME. So I guess I'm happy to keep the mess of toys, and little shoes, and crayons and coloring books strewn about along with playpens, and high chairs, and everything that comes along with babies and little boys and little girls.
I'm just going to concentrate on organizing it all.

Enjoy your new floors!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Grandma Honey said...

Darlene~
That's where we keep our napkins. And we don't usually have so many lemons but the twins had just picked those. Last night I squeezed them all and froze the juice for later.

pebble said...

The new floor looks fantastic! Great choice, your entire room looks beautiful!

Heather said...

Your floor looks great! My parents just replaced their floors too, and their new choice is very similar to yours. :-)

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...