My Dad's apology

While I was going through my scrapbooks a few days ago to find pictures for another post, I ran across something I don't remember receiving. I think it's over 40 years old.


Obviously my Dad gave me a box of candy with his apology, but what in the world was he apologizing for? I most likely pushed him to the edge about something. I most likely was about 15-17 years old. Interesting how there has never been a need for him to apologize again to me once I grew up a little more. 


This made me think of a song I still know all the words to. So I googled it and found it was released by Roy Clark in 1969. That sounds about right, because I was 15 that year. 

 I think I related to this song  just because of these 2 lines:
"and every conversation I can now recall
concerns itself with me and nothing else at all."

This video is not very good, but the music is.





Since I liked those two lines, it's like I knew even back then that I was self centered. Thankfully I had parents who were patient and weathered out those years with me.  I did remember, even in my very ornery times (hormonal) I knew they had faith in me. They didn't label me. At least not while I was in the room. 

I wish someone had explained hormones and how I would not always feel so unsettled. Instead, I just thought I wasn't a very good person. I don't think PMS or pregnancy hormones even begin to compare what a girl goes through as a teenager.

 I also found this note from my Dad, written during this same time period:




So maybe I wasn't quite as bad as I thought I was back then. 
At least not all the time. 



9 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I love that he was willing to write you a note and express his feeling that he had been wrong. A really good and loving parent can always recognize that and wants to point it out.

=)

Karen Mortensen said...

You dad was awesome and is still awesome. You are not so bad yourself. I agree with your parents.

Annette said...

It the process of learning we all go through. Thankfully most parents remember those times themselves. Wonderful note and I loved the Sees candy envelope. Parents rock! I know mine did. While they weren't perfect they were perfect for me.

And I think you are pretty wonderful yourself!

Eileen said...

Oh, such wonderful treasures to find! And wonderful that you thought to keepsake them!
And I can so relate to that song "Yesterday, when I was young...", and I can relate to that not-very-nice feeling about myself and it still sticks today. And I get so afraid that I'm going to near the end of my life with so many regrets.
BUT I absolutely can not picture you being self-centered!

No way would the love expressed by your daughter-in-law (so beautifully displayed in that 'mother's love' picture she gave you) be for anyone self-centered!
I cried tears of joy for you when I read that post.
All those pictures are a beautiful display of love, and so was Erin's gesture.
Love to you,
Eileen
PS ~ I have the same picture of the Madonna and Child, I think it's called the 'Madonna of the Streets'.

Grandma Honey said...

Sue~ I so agree. I also think a parent would rather be wrong than have their child be wrong. That's how I felt anyway.

Karen~ Thanks for agreeing with my parents :)

Annette~ I have realized that more and more through the years too- 'they were perfect for me.'

Grandma Honey said...

Eileen- I wish you could see yourself as others see you. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about.

grandmapeg said...

I loved this song and haven't heard it for years! I think most teenage girls are caught up in themselves, and hopefully we have all grown out of that stage! I still can't picture you ever being that way!

Lisa said...

I absolutely love this post & your narrative. I also wanted to THANK YOU myself for the "comment" on my blog. It really touched me & tears flooded my eyes. I so appreciated your words of kindness today.

Incidentally, I cannot even imagine you having a selfish bone in your body! LOL I'm grateful for our friendship & trust. You are really ONE OF A KIND.

Heather (The Menu Mama) said...

Those notes are so sweet. I bet you were a lovely teenager, but I totally know what you mean about hormones!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...